weekly Leebert's 52 for 2019 COMPLETE! Week 52 - Out take.

Here goes with Week 1 - New.
I originally wanted to take a photo of some new life in the garden with some little green shoots that have popped up recently but there were two things that changed my mind. One is that it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get back. The second is that it's been done a couple of times already.
My wife then had a chance look out of the window to see a lovely 5% approx. waxing crescent Moon (New Moon was on Jan 6th). It was about to set behind some conifer trees so I was lucky with the timing really...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2e6DmbF]
Week 1 - New (nearly). by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Nice new moon. Good to see a bit of environment too!

Nice image. I really like the silhouette of the tree

Good Capture, I like the inclusion of the tree too.

Nice new moon. Good to see a bit of environment too!
Thank you.

Cool shot of the new moon Lee, a well thought out shot.
Thank you. Not much time for thinking - the Moon was moving towards the trees surprisingly fast!

Welcome back, Lee, and this is a really good interpretation of the theme. Exposure is spot on to retain details in the sliver of moon and some colour in the sky, and I like the way you have included the foreground tree too.
Thank you. It was shot with -1 EV I think. Even with just a thin crescent it was really bright.

Nice shot of the New moon I had been very close to doing this myself :)
Thank you :)

Nice image. I really like the silhouette of the tree
Thanks. One benefit of the Moon being about to set. It made for a better composition I thought.

Love that tiny little sliver of silvery moon Lee, perfect for the theme.
Thank you.

I like that Lee, nicely framed by the tree. A great subject choice for the theme.
Thank you.

Lovely image!
Crisp focus and great composition.
(y)
Thank you.

Great shot. Good interpretation of the theme.
Thanks.

Luck perhaps, but you went out and got it.
I do think the inclusion of the tree really helps add context to the shot.
Thanks. I have to thank my Wife for noticing and letting me know. It was also a result that the camera was to hand as well :)

Nice image, and dark tones. I like the interest of the tree in the foreground too.
Thank you.

Good Capture, I like the inclusion of the tree too.
Thank you.

Thank you all for dropping by and taking the time to comment. It s much appreciated.

I agree that the trees in the foreground really make the image.

I also find it tough at this time of year when it's dark both before and after work so well done for getting something.

Well spotted by your wife and well done for getting out and getting a sharp shot before it disappeared. the sliver of moon is lovely and clear and the trees definitely add to the picture too :)

nice sharp shot of the moon and great spot by your wife. The trees do indeed add interest to the picture

Like that Lee, especially with the trees in the foreground

I agree that the trees in the foreground really make the image.

I also find it tough at this time of year when it's dark both before and after work so well done for getting something.

Well spotted by your wife and well done for getting out and getting a sharp shot before it disappeared. the sliver of moon is lovely and clear and the trees definitely add to the picture too :)

nice sharp shot of the moon and great spot by your wife. The trees do indeed add interest to the picture

Thanks all. For a bit of a grab shot I'm quite pleased with how it came out. It's actually made the picture list for my screen saver :)

This week's theme was in my mind as soon as I saw it. Then I saw Flyphot's cracking image which was exactly what I had in my head!! Back to the drawing board...

My initial ideal was to have the BG in focus and the droplets in the foreground catching the light but that didn't really work so I tried the other way around and it looked better I thought. Then, as a twist, I took the photo in a dark bathroom with the flash on it's lowest power acting as a very fast exposure to 'freeze' the droplets. Pre-focussing on the drops with the light on then getting out of the bath to turn the light off then getting back into exactly the same position proved a bit time consuming!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cPwFcZ]
Week 2 - Clean by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Excellent image!
Perfect exposure, and considering the use of flash, you've maintained perfect tones in the background as well as perfectly capturing the 'frozen' drops!
Expertly done, and a great illustration of the power and versatility of flash in skilled hands!
(y)

Excellent image!
Perfect exposure, and considering the use of flash, you've maintained perfect tones in the background as well as perfectly capturing the 'frozen' drops!
Expertly done, and a great illustration of the power and versatility of flash in skilled hands!
(y)
You're too kind Gareth - thank you. Lots of trial and error in reality. Oh, and slightly wet feet :LOL:

Lee did you think of a different angle ? Might see more f the droplets ? Just my thought
I hadn't considered that but now you mention it, they do kind of blend in in places. One for a re-shoot possibly? Thank you.

Cool use of flash's ability to freeze the image.
Thank you :)

Yes ... A great shot, bang on theme. After experimenting you ended up with a winner!
Well done!
Thanks very much Bob (y)

Love it, great use of flash.

Good stuff here Lee, I usually prefer slow water but freezing the action here is much better. I'm really drawn in to the water droplets as they're so sharp and detailed. Not many photos that actually make you lean in closer to the monitor to see the detail, but this is one!

That dof really works!

Hi Lee, your hard work definitely paid off, I've just zoomed in to the showerhead down as far as the sponge, I think it works wella s a crop and shows off those super water drops perfectly.

Love it, great use of flash.

Good stuff here Lee, I usually prefer slow water but freezing the action here is much better. I'm really drawn in to the water droplets as they're so sharp and detailed. Not many photos that actually make you lean in closer to the monitor to see the detail, but this is one!

That dof really works!

Good idea and technique, Lee, and great use of flash to freeze the droplets without it overpowering such a reflective setting (y) Such dedication too, to be hopping in and out of the bath to get the right result!

Great idea and well done on using the flash, it turned out really well.

I like the frozen droplets great capture

Thanks very much for all your comments - much appreciated :)

Apologies for being briefly 'off grid'. Unexpected hospital visits proved a distraction over the weekend. I hope to catch up with comments over the next few evenings.

'Open' had me really stumped but yet again Mrs Leebert came to the rescue with this - Open (to suggestion). She very patiently sat there whilst I set up the shot. Initially, the focus was on the face but it wasn't obvious what the object was. I then focused the camera on the watch and used flash to freeze the action of it swinging.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cYnbfp]
Week 3 - Open (to suggestion) by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Nicely done Lee, the use of flash has worked well there.
Lighting is good too, off camera I assume as it seems to be coming slightly from the side (adding depth) and the shadows aren't harsh, so using a modifier of some kind I think.

A good idea and you got the focus on the right thing. I find the curtains in the left of the background a bit distracting though.

Terrifically imaginative image Lee!
Very well done on nailing a good exposure on both the watch and (the long suffering) Mrs Leebert....not easy to get right.
The watch is pin sharp and due to you placing it at the end of it's swing, it has a nice dynamic feel to it.
My regards to Mrs Leebert, what a good sport!....but I hope she didn't feel the urge to go and clean the car immediately after this shot was taken!!:LOL:

Back