weekly Leebert's 52 for 2019 COMPLETE! Week 52 - Out take.

Great set of images Lee!

I too prefer your posted image, though all are excellent!
I do like the crop - very unusual, but it really works, and draws the eye right along the neck to the fingers.
#2 is another creative bit of framing that works well too, and the grainy mono processing is super.
#3 smashing close up of a proper, working bass headstock...with all the road-worn character (by that I mean dust and grime!:LOL:)
Great stuff!:clap:

Much prefer the first one as well . Like the second shot better with half the head chopped off but the diagonal thing at the bottom left annoys me!
Thanks Joan. I'm not quite sure what you mean by half the head chopped off? It looks all there to me. The diagonal thing was a set list. I so wanted that gone too!

A nice set of image but much prefer the first one for the composition and the unusual crop ratio
Thank you Stan.

Hi Lee
An interesting angle and good use of DOF
Pete
Thank you Pete.

Great set of images Lee!
I too prefer your posted image, though all are excellent!
I do like the crop - very unusual, but it really works, and draws the eye right along the neck to the fingers.
#2 is another creative bit of framing that works well too, and the grainy mono processing is super.
#3 smashing close up of a proper, working bass headstock...with all the road-worn character (by that I mean dust and grime!:LOL:)
Great stuff!:clap:
Many thanks for your kind comments Gareth. The pub is tiny so I had to improvise with compositions!!

Okay, I'm going to be contrary here, but shot 3 for me, because pretty :) :) :)
Otherwise shot 2 because it's very much an action shot.
Thank you Tim. I like 3 too because of the sparkly bokeh :)

I prefer the second shot great use of DoF, the first and the third not sure on the crop ratio really :thinking:

Week 49 - Below.

A bit of fun for this week and something I've never tried before. I used a Go Pro in our fish tank - below the water. I initially attempted to get a shot half in and half out of the water but it didn't really work. I ended up holding the Go Pro near the bottom of the tank with some drift wood as a back drop. It's a pretty bright and well lit tank but the Go Pro was still climbing above 2000 ISO at f2.8 and 1/100s. It's not quite the same quality of the D750 but I didn't fancy dunking that in the tank for some reason ;)

Week 49 - Below. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking (y)

Last edited:
Great idea Lee, I do miss my old tropical fish tank.
Thanks Clive. They are very relaxing :)

That`s a damn good effort for below Lee, liking the colours.
Thank you Dave. I had to back the colours off a bit as the camera seemed to go a bit mad with the saturation!

Nice colours Lee.
Surely the Nikon is a professional camera with water sealing? I'm sure it would have been fine. and anyway, it it wasn't, you could have joined us in FujiVille on the insurance ;)
Thanks Tim. I'm sure the 750 has got some weather sealing but I thought a dunk in the fish tank might be asking a little too much :LOL:

Lovely colourful image Lee, and despite not being your D750, it's pretty decent.(y)
FYI, a waterproof housing for a Nikon D750 is priced at ~ £3000!:eek:
Thanks Gareth. Wow! that is a fair few quid :eek:

Good to see a different take on the theme. I use to keep tropical fish in my younger (school) days.
Thanks Stan. It's something that started when my wife and I got together and we both find them nice and relaxing.

Last edited:
Certainly seems to have captured all the lighting. I guess you'd not see all that in one go (without staring then closing your eyes).
Nicely controlled. With all those light sources it could have easily have blown out.

Yep that ^^^^

A well done pic!

Nice shot, the exposure time seems to be perfect to me, although carrying a fence post around may become a bit tiresome in the future ;)

Certainly seems to have captured all the lighting. I guess you'd not see all that in one go (without staring then closing your eyes).
Nicely controlled. With all those light sources it could have easily have blown out.
Yep that ^^^^
A well done pic!
Thank you both. I have to admit, it took me a few shots to get the exposure just right.

Nice shot, the exposure time seems to be perfect to me, although carrying a fence post around may become a bit tiresome in the future ;)
Thanks Jim. Luckily, I didn't have to cart around a fence post as one had been conveniently installed just opposite ;)

I have to agree must have been a bit of a nightmare with all those lights, its amazing what people will do at Christmas.

Nice shot, my plan B was to do something similar, you have got the exposure spot on there :)

I have to agree must have been a bit of a nightmare with all those lights, its amazing what people will do at Christmas.
Thanks Allan.

Very nicely done and not over exposed at all. Well done.
Thank you Clive.

Nice shot, my plan B was to do something similar, you have got the exposure spot on there :)
Cheers Rick.

Great shot Lee!
A nice festive feel to it, excellent exposure control and nicely vivid too.
Nice work indeed!(y)
Thank you Gareth. Unbeknown to me, I was one week early with the Christmassy theme!

Week 51 - Christmassy.

There is a well known Cedar tree near to where I live which has an annual lights 'switch on' near the beginning of December. It's quite an event with the road closed off. Lots of people gather around the 250 year old tree singing carols and drinking warm mulled wine. This was taken this evening a few weeks after the switch on.

It's a long exposure too :banana:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i3SkBg]
Week 51 - Christmassy. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

I like that. Looks a nice place.

Well I see some kind of winged alien flying in to devour us all !!!!
RUN....
Cool shot Lee, albeit SCARY !

^^^^ That's the first thing I saw too..

DRAGON!!!!! Run awaaaaaay.... :exit:

Reactions: LC2
Wow! Great shot Lee!:clap:
Great impact and terrific long exposure light trails too!

I have to admit that I saw a weird, beastly flying thingy too...looks quite menacing!!:eek:
Maybe we've (Me @LC2 , @-Oy- and @CliveH) all been eating too much cheese before bedtime!:LOL:

^^^^ That's the first thing I saw too..

DRAGON!!!!! Run awaaaaaay.... :exit:

Hi Lee, I like your winged monster.

Wow! Great shot Lee!:clap:
Great impact and terrific long exposure light trails too!
I have to admit that I saw a weird, beastly flying thingy too...looks quite menacing!!:eek:
Maybe we've (Me @LC2 , @-Oy- and @CliveH) all been eating too much cheese before bedtime!:LOL:

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Maybe my Christmassy shot isn't so Christmassy after all? :D

Last edited:
Week 52 - Out takes.

This a really tricky one and not a photo that can be intentionally shot I guess. I had to rummage through my Lightroom catalogue and did find one but with a little twist. The out take isn't for me but for a friend and singer / rhythm guitarist in a local band (Chase the Tail). The evening was going really well until he had a minor moment and completely forgot where and how long the middle eight was! :LOL: I think the lead guitarist face behind gives the game away ;)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i5uPai]
Week 52 - Out take (1) by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

A few others that I considered were...

Never work with children or animals (taken by my wifey so doesn't count).
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i5tM95]
Week 52 - Out take (2) by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

The Phantom of the Opera Pub!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i5tMaN]
Week 52 - Out take (3) by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Why the long face?
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i5rniR]
Week 52 - Out take (4) by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Great shots there Lee, well done for completing the challenge! :)

I do like the fun of #1 and in #2, the squirrel seems to have taste, he looks like he's trying to attack the nikon strap so the camera can crash to the floor ;)
Gratz of getting to the end Lee. See you in 2020 and on @tijuana taxi's next London walk (hopefully).

Well done staying with it Lee, hope you enjoyed it
Like the Christmas decoration one, reminds me of the Id from Forbidden Planet when its lit up by the laser cannon fire

@Leebert @LC2 Hope to see you again on the next London meet. In the meantime Happy New Year to you both

Had a chat with Hazel when she came round yesterday and we were discussing a tentative date of Monday April 27th
Thinking of starting at King's Cross and ending up at Little Venice near Regents Park
Nothing definite and as ever if anyone has a suggestion just fire away

Congrats on finishing :)

Fun and amusing shots to finish the year, Lee and a huge congratulations on successfully completing your 2019 Photo52. :clap:
All the best for the New Year!
Thanks Stan. All the best for 2020 to you.

Great shots there Lee, well done for completing the challenge! :)
Thanks Rick.

Hi Lee, well done on finishing. Great out takes first one is a great picture, love the horse too.
Thank you Clive.

I do like the fun of #1 and in #2, the squirrel seems to have taste, he looks like he's trying to attack the nikon strap so the camera can crash to the floor ;)
Gratz of getting to the end Lee. See you in 2020 and on @tijuana taxi's next London walk (hopefully).

Well done staying with it Lee, hope you enjoyed it
Like the Christmas decoration one, reminds me of the Id from Forbidden Planet when its lit up by the laser cannon fire
@Leebert @LC2 Hope to see you again on the next London meet. In the meantime Happy New Year to you both
Had a chat with Hazel when she came round yesterday and we were discussing a tentative date of Monday April 27th
Thinking of starting at King's Cross and ending up at Little Venice near Regents Park
Nothing definite and as ever if anyone has a suggestion just fire away
Thanks Tim and Rich. That sounds like a good plan in the making - see you there hopefully :)

Congrats on finishing :)
Cheers.

Back