weekly Leebert's 52 for 2020. Week 23 - Hidden.

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I really enjoyed 2019 so I'm giving it another crack for 2020.

As last year, I intend to have fun and not stick to any real hard & fast rules except maybe...

1. Try to think outside the creative box without going to far to the shoehorn side;
2. Try to take the photo in the week that it's announced;
3. Try to do a whole year without using any archive shots.

What could possibly go wrong? :p

Aaaaaaand were off!!

Week One - Local interest.

This tower is a short distance from me. I believe it's called Whitehill Folly on a ridge called Arthur's Seat. It was built by Jeremiah Long in 1862. The story goes that the owner of the house just across the road built it so he could see to Chelsea Reach from the top as that is where his son drowned. Now it's inside the property of Tower Farm and slowly but surely giving way to Nature. It doesn't look like it will be there in another 158 years.

Week 1 - Local (interest). by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Last edited:
First glance makes me think that the brick wall should be cropped out, but on closer inspection it really adds a great contrast. I like it.

A shame it's been allowed to rot away like that. Like you say, unlikely to see another 158 years (kind surprised it's not surrounded by keep out signs really).
A nice bit of 'local' interest :)

I like the plants climbing up on the left wall and that the front seems to be held together by that wooden window frame. Have you tried a longer lens and a tighter crop that shows just details of the tower?

Nice one for starters!

That's a great shot, ad has given me an idea for something for myself :)

Great start to your 52 and thanks for providing the history.

Nice shot and an interesting history. It'll be sad to see it decline further.

Cracking start to your 52 Lee!(y)

I always learn something when I view your images, whether it's photography related or local history - and this is no exception!
You've chosen a very interesting subject with some fascinating history.
Very well photographed, hope it will be renovated soon!

Great bit of local interest shame about its condition, nicely captured.

It's a shame these things are disappearing through neglect.

Interesting juxtaposition between the old and new.

A nice image to start your 2020 TP 52 challenge Lee I like the juxtaposition between the 'new' brick wall and old stone work. I wonder is a mono conversion with a bit more contrast would really make it pop?

First glance makes me think that the brick wall should be cropped out, but on closer inspection it really adds a great contrast. I like it.
Thanks David.

Very nice shot Lee, like other parts of the country not a nice sky but I do love these old ruins as they were built to last.
Thank you Dave.
A shame it's been allowed to rot away like that. Like you say, unlikely to see another 158 years (kind surprised it's not surrounded by keep out signs really).
A nice bit of 'local' interest :)
Thanks Tim.

Great shot to start your 52!!
Thanks Bob.

I like the plants climbing up on the left wall and that the front seems to be held together by that wooden window frame. Have you tried a longer lens and a tighter crop that shows just details of the tower?
Thanks Bernd. I'll give that a try as I am often passing it.

Nice one for starters!
Thanks Dave.

That's a great shot, ad has given me an idea for something for myself :)
Cheers Rick - glad I could help :)

Great start to your 52 and thanks for providing the history.
Thanks Baloo.

Nice shot and an interesting history. It'll be sad to see it decline further.
Thank you Pete. I suspect one day I'll go past and it will be in a pile of rubble :(

Nice find Lee, I think you are right it does not look like it will last, I hope they do some renovation work on it.
Thanks Clive. I hope so too but I haven't seen any renovations in the last 30 or so years.

Cracking start to your 52 Lee!(y)
I always learn something when I view your images, whether it's photography related or local history - and this is no exception!
You've chosen a very interesting subject with some fascinating history.
Very well photographed, hope it will be renovated soon!
Thank you Gareth for your very kind words.

Great bit of local interest shame about its condition, nicely captured.
Thank you Alison.

It's a shame these things are disappearing through neglect.
I agree Dominic.

Interesting juxtaposition between the old and new.
Thanks Fi.

Interesting structure and history, Lee, and it really does look as though that window frame is holding the top half up! Good contrast between the crumbling old wall and the new one.
Thanks Andrea. I'm not sure what's holding it up to be honest!

A nice image to start your 2020 TP 52 challenge Lee I like the juxtaposition between the 'new' brick wall and old stone work. I wonder is a mono conversion with a bit more contrast would really make it pop?
Thanks Mark. Thanks for the pointer too. I'll try a high contrast mono and see what it looks like. It should bring out the textures nicely. (y)

Week two - Pleasure.

I love music of all genres and take great pleasure in the immersion of listening with headphones. Until recently, I used an old pair of headphones which were getting a bit battered after nearly 30 years of use. The left side rattled a bit and all the ear cup foam had disintegrated. I decided to treat myself and auditioned quite a few pairs before buying these Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans. I hadn't realised quite how 'tired' my last set were until I popped these on!

Week 2 - Pleasure. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

I do like this image Lee, and the b&w processing really suits it!
Very classy and crisp - they look exceedingly comfy, and if they sound as good as they look, you're sure to be happy with them!
As @Dave70D said - nice stand too...did it come with that?
Nice work Lee!(y)

Nice shot, and well on theme, suits the mono well.

The pleasure of not only listening to music but also shutting out all the ambient noise!
The B&W conversions certainly suits the image.

I dunno, these millennials walking around with headphones on all the time...
Oh Hi Lee :)

I agree, the b&w processing really does suit the shot. They certainly do look built to produce a decent sound (and hopefully last).

Great image for Pleasure Lee nicely composed and lit the B&W conversion really suits it.

Great take on the theme, nice mono image as well... and even nicer cans, bet they sound awesome with the right music of course ;)

Shame you couldn't wear them at the same time as photographing them.. Double pleasure! Nice simple and crisp image.

Love the image of tower. I also wondered about the brick wall but it gives it a juxtaposition between the old and new. Music is definitely in my pleasure category. Although music choices in my car is constantly hijacked by children. Love the simplicity of the image

Maybe these new headphone will last as long too, it`s a good shot Lee and think it suits the mono treatment and liking the stand too.
I hope so Dave. They are really something to listen to. The stand is from Amazon.

Yeah, great pic and a perfect take on the subject.
Thank you (y)
I do like this image Lee, and the b&w processing really suits it!
Very classy and crisp - they look exceedingly comfy, and if they sound as good as they look, you're sure to be happy with them!
As @Dave70D said - nice stand too...did it come with that?
Nice work Lee!(y)
Thank you Gareth. They are very comfy. The stand came from Amazon.

Nice simple composition and looks excellent in black and white.(y)
Thanks Clive.

Nice shot, and well on theme, suits the mono well.
Thank you Rick.

Very good shot, Lee. Looks great in B/W.
Thanks Bob.

The pleasure of not only listening to music but also shutting out all the ambient noise!
The B&W conversions certainly suits the image.
Cheers Chris. That is another advantage too :)

I dunno, these millennials walking around with headphones on all the time...
Oh Hi Lee :)
I agree, the b&w processing really does suit the shot. They certainly do look built to produce a decent sound (and hopefully last).
Thanks Tim. They are for home use. I have some in ear ones for out and about.

nicely set up works well in b/w
Thanks Alison :)

Love the black and white treatment!
Thank you.

Great image for Pleasure Lee nicely composed and lit the B&W conversion really suits it.
Thanks Mark.

Great take on the theme, nice mono image as well... and even nicer cans, bet they sound awesome with the right music of course ;)
Thank you Paul. They are good for most music and suit my ears well.

Shame you couldn't wear them at the same time as photographing them.. Double pleasure! Nice simple and crisp image.
Thanks Helen. Wearing them would then involve a Selfie and I wouldn't want to inflict that level of eye damage on anyone :LOL:

Love the image of tower. I also wondered about the brick wall but it gives it a juxtaposition between the old and new. Music is definitely in my pleasure category. Although music choices in my car is constantly hijacked by children. Love the simplicity of the image
Thank you Dave.

I like that, Lee. It says everything that needs to be said, the B&W treatment suits the subject and gives it a classy look. Nice work (y)
Thanks Andrea.

Week 3 - Tool.

This is an imperial micrometer by J T Slocomb, Rhode Island, USA. It belonged to my father in law who was a Horologist (watch & clock maker / repairer). I believe it is a Micrometer Caliper No. 25 made around 1940. The patent dates on the handle are 12th May 1896 and 13th April 1897.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2igeTfS]
Week 3 - Tool. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2igeHnA]
Week 3 - Tool. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Below is a screen shot of catalogue No. 18 for the same micrometer of about the same era.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 14.26.54.jpg

Back