Lemon Shark

Very good, Mike… (y)
darn happy they don't come around the marsh! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You may be very well right…
it's probably my passion for dog
and my ignorance of sharks.

Mike you have mentioned this side of your togging before,but i've not seen any of your work untill very recently. It's awesome mate,I clocked the trumpet too eslewhere gorgeous frames buddy. Mike would it be a big ask to share a bit on the gear techniques you are using to get these underwater images(in your time obviously),we don't see much of this genre of photography it's interesting. He he said the guy who grew up by the sea was always in a wet suit and snorkel but now must live in the most land locked place in blighty.My god mate 25 years and I still miss the sea almost daily.
Stunning clarity Mike,that is what is grabbing me the clarity,gorgeous work mate

stu

I'm with Stu, the clarity of these shots are fabulous, stunning picture, the first one for me just made me go wow.

Thanks everyone, had a great time shooting these, glad you like them.

Mike you have mentioned this side of your togging before,but i've not seen any of your work untill very recently. It's awesome mate,I clocked the trumpet too eslewhere gorgeous frames buddy. Mike would it be a big ask to share a bit on the gear techniques you are using to get these underwater images(in your time obviously),we don't see much of this genre of photography it's interesting. He he said the guy who grew up by the sea was always in a wet suit and snorkel but now must live in the most land locked place in blighty.My god mate 25 years and I still miss the sea almost daily.
Stunning clarity Mike,that is what is grabbing me the clarity,gorgeous work mate

stu

Ay up Stu,

Cheers for stopping by. Its a very different type of photography compared to most genres, not least because to get decent shots, the skills of a photographer are firmly secondary compared to your diving skills.

That said, the gear is very important as well. I have a housing made by Nauticam (www.nauticam.co.uk if you want a peek) and strobes from Sea and Sea.

A vital part of underwater shooting is to get as close as possible to your subject, as every bit of water you shoot through degrades IQ, so we tend to favour ultrawides (and specifically fisheye lenses) and macros. They probably account for about 95% of all series underwater photos. These were shot on a full frame with a Sigma 15mm fisheye, probably about 2-3 feet away from the sharks.

You work slightly differently as well, using the ISO and shutter speed to control your background, then set your aperture for your subject, then use the strobes to light the foreground. I should have had diffusers on both my strobes but managed to lose the one off my right strobe somehow, if you look at the second shot, you'll see the effect on the bright patch near the fin.

After that, its get close as you can and time your shot like any other subject.

Mike

Buddy wading through a zillion hares taken today,ouch,:D HMMMMM,Ya graft ya butt off,but come back with nowt. Next day, saunter out on a whim, didn't feel we would get all the other stuff done and bosh,all works. Tis fairy dust,Mike. funny as, but mate I'm desparate to see if I didn't completely mess up.:rolleyes:

Sorry mate, just stopping by to say damn that is a good read,thank you so much:cool: .I'll probably come back if that's ok,but wanted to say TA quick like.

many thanks Mike,utterly fascinating please forgive brevity

stu

Back