Beginner Lemons - beginner test shoot (critique)

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
script>
96979-f00f76e0bfbf42c855dc9df36e74560e.jpg

I went on a "get your camera off automode" course last week, so i thought i'd have a little test setup to play with. critiques on the shot and the settings would be appreciated :)

also had a little play with glycerine and water to make the droplets too

settings: F14 ISO200 and a SS of 1/3rd of a second i think

Adam

Attachments

• lemonssss.jpg
    lemonssss.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 57
adam,

i clicked the attached file link as its not an issue for me......and i am going to be harsh as your image IS harsh. lots of room for improvement there from colour balance to shadow, to dof and framing as well as focus. i do not fault you trying the glycerine droplets, i think they work though how did you apply them? im curious as seen ppl use perfume misters.

regards your settings, for f14 i'd have expected more in focus (as product shots to me should be front to back focus unless you are picking something out with f2.8 or lower) and a 1/3 sec? not hand held right? also the light streak down the bottle is a distraction.

overall though i cannot fault your effort, keep trying different set ups (y)

Hi Thanks for the feedback,

I didn't have a perfume sprayer so i used a paintbrush to add the droplets on 1 by 1.. i think it turned out ok. I couldn't understand why at F14 I wasn't getting the foreground lemon into sharp focus :/ perhaps its a lens issue,, im not sure.

i used a cheap tripod for the s/s. but i'll keep trying! I appreciate you taking the time to look :)

Hi Thanks for the feedback,

I didn't have a perfume sprayer so i used a paintbrush to add the droplets on 1 by 1.. i think it turned out ok. I couldn't understand why at F14 I wasn't getting the foreground lemon into sharp focus :/ perhaps its a lens issue,, im not sure.

i used a cheap tripod for the s/s. but i'll keep trying! I appreciate you taking the time to look :)

u painted them 1 by 1... i guess then you could alter the size of droplets so still a useful method. (y)

i would question why you used f14 as the distance you might have been to the subject would have caught the background as well, which i'd imagine you would OOF tbh..? if you feel the lens is an issue, you can manually calibrate lens and store those settings for a particular lens/body, BUT i haven't tried it even though ive looked at numerous methods of doing this.. if u still struggle with focus and fear moving the angle of the camera, why not have an object at the same position as the lead object but higher and in the focus mark, idk. i know i used this method for doing a selfie project i did

Far too many lemons and not enough of the
bottle… which is the main product. I see that
more attention should have been paid to the
unfortunate distortion of the bottle.

A typical shot for the 85 PC!

Far too many lemons and not enough of the
bottle… which is the main product. I see that
more attention should have been paid to the
unfortunate distortion of the bottle.

A typical shot for the 85 PC!
Sorry what does 85PC mean? Thanks for the feedback .. You make a good point I'll try to fix that in the next shot :)

u painted them 1 by 1... i guess then you could alter the size of droplets so still a useful method. (y)

i would question why you used f14 as the distance you might have been to the subject would have caught the background as well, which i'd imagine you would OOF tbh..? if you feel the lens is an issue, you can manually calibrate lens and store those settings for a particular lens/body, BUT i haven't tried it even though ive looked at numerous methods of doing this.. if u still struggle with focus and fear moving the angle of the camera, why not have an object at the same position as the lead object but higher and in the focus mark, idk. i know i used this method for doing a selfie project i did
Painting 1 by 1 didn't take long at all to be honest.. I was quite happy with the result of that bit.

I was just trying to get the foreground in focus as well as the bottle.. But that did cause the back wall to be in focus too [emoji21]

Suddenly its not so simple as point and shoot[emoji23]

Sorry what does 85PC mean?

This is the "jargon" description of an 85 mm Perspective Control lens.
I have two PC lenses: the 24mm for architecture and the 85mm used
in studio for such work.

Back