Lens advice please

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to buy a new lens as my old one seems to have given up the ghost, and would be grateful for some advice on what I should choose/consider.

I usually shoot football and I have Canon 1dx and 1d4 bodies, and a Canon 70-200 f2.8. I have been using a Sigma 120-400 f4.5-5.6 so am looking to replace this.

Unfortunately I don't have lots of money to burn so a 400mm f2.8 is out of the question!

What would people recommend from their experience? I am looking to spend up to around £2,500, happy to buy used from a reliable source.

A Canon 300mm f4 seems like a reasonable option but I'm worried this doesn't necessarily offer much over the 70-200 I already have...

Many thanks in advance and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

canon 300 2.8 and a 1.4 tc

a 300 is more versatile then a 400.. good for junior football.. good with a 1.4tc and absoloutly perfect on a 1dx at the half way line (without the tc) if you want to cover both goals :) also the 2.8 wil be a godsend after what you ahve been using..

I ahve the 400 2.8 and the 300 2.8 both are pin sharp and really good at the job.. i will use the 300 on occasions as above

Last edited:
If you can stretch the budget by £450, that's what used 500/4 MkIs are going for at MPB.

Last edited:
Back