Lensbaby photos

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

There was a thread for pics, old and not used much in the equipment section.

But I wanted a place like the colour selection thread for just photos using lensbaby products.

I have a Composer with the default Double glass. Fairly tricky to use, but you can get some great shots.

So if you have one (any of them) and can post, please do!
I'd be interested in anyones pics using the edge 80 - or the sweet 35...

Here are a few to start...

Ju Ju (LB) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Profiteroles (LB) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Street Performer (LB) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Hi

I have the lensbaby composer and I have the fish eye optic and 2 others single glass and I think double glass optic. I am going to Amsterdam this weekend so going to really put them to the test. I will upload when am back. But love your pictures they are stunning

I was interested in the Lensbaby composer for tilt-shift style time lapse video.
Would you recommend it?
What about it prompted the not so easy to use comment?

Its a different type of lens. Fairly simple to explain, but not the same when taking pictures.

Eg. The circle of focus in in the middle of where the lens is pointed. The edges blur off depending on the aperture you've used. The blur can be extract (almost motion like blur) or soft. And I'm only using a double lens so far.

The edge 80 to get the tilt n shift is around 250ukp, so not exactly cheap, but a lot cheaper than the proper tilt and shift lenses.

Mainly its a bit of playing with the lens and trying different things, thinking which bit you want in focus and moving the lens as required.

Focus is a bit hit n miss as its manual and you need a good eye or trust in the camera auto detection.

I've been using mainly at f4 or f5.6 as this seems to give pleasing results. You can go to f2 (minimum) or f16 I think... plus an option of designing your own aperture shape...

I would recommend it as when in focus and right you can get a really sharp picture. Some subjects seem to work really well with it.

I found a page on Facebook that is for all lensbabys and has users submitting pictures. Some are really reallly good so yes, go get one if you can. Bear in mind its more for creative photos rather than normal pictures, and you can always sell on if you don't get on with it!

No-one else has any pics to post??

Last edited:
You could of course save alot of time and money and just buy a protector filter and a tub of VASELINE from Boots!

Great images. We have a guy at our photoclub whom had a phase a while back of shooting portraits with the lens baby.
They were fab.

Mind you he his damn good with any lens n camera.

Gaz

My lensbaby arrived today.. I got the Muse with the double glass (well, I suppose it was technically yesterday now..)

I'm just not getting on with it so far. Really, really struggling with the focus. I'm determined though because I love the results. Just frustrating. Really frustrating!

Here's my first couple of images...

397591_543235222370891_1212538690_n.jpg

546331_543235195704227_647422895_n.jpg

These were the only 2 acceptable ones out of about 50 shot... Sigh!

Hi,

Does your camera allow single focus point and indicates on the screen when in focus.?

If so this might help get more keepers.

Also try using the f5.6. Seems to allow easier focus area. f2 (no aperture disk) is really tricky... Also for the f5.6 you need quite a bit of light or you'll get camera shake too.

Alternatively set the camera to manual, shutter between 30 and 100 (depending on light) and try a few shots with that. You could use the onboard flash too..?

Good luck n keep trying!

Thanks ecniv :) The camera was on manual for those and I think those were with the 2.8.

I had another play about today.. went through all the aperture discs from nothing to f8 and focusing centrally then again but focusing in a top corner and it went a lot better than the first time I'd used the lens. It's just going to take a bit of practice, I guess!

Heh yeah - does take a while.

Stick in the f5.6 n take a pic of the castle? Or some other landmarks...

Its really nice looking down on people for the shots (although the edge 80 makes it look even better).

Christmas Decoration Macro (LB) by KatiaUK, on Flickr
Double composer plus extension tubes...

Beringer Bottle (LB) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Beringer Drink and Raspberry (LB) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Saw something like this in the bokeh thread... Thought it would be worth a try :)

Taking a picture of taking a picture... (LB) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Got an Edge 80 to try out the tilt n shift type pics with the composer... Still getting to grips with it.

also noted that I must reset the lens type otherwise I'm going to confuse the 105mm macro Plus tubes with the lens baby double and now edge 80...

Edge 80 (I think - horizontal in the middle)

Ben Raich, Whisky by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Double:

Loving Doughnuts... by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Ben Raich Bottle, Closer by KatiaUK, on Flickr
I think this is double as there is no focus in a straight line...

Ah well - post some more when I've tried some!

I do like the shots from the lens babys but they are too expensive for what they are. It's a shame the Chinese ebay traders aren't selling cheep copies of these.

They aren't that expensive... normal tilt n shift is a lot and you get to change the middle bits.

You can even make your own aperture for the 50mm bokeh :)

Quality of the glass is very good too, considering most of my lenses are around 200-400ukp, these are in that price range :)

More to come... once I've processed them.

Back