Leopard Cub in and out of the shade

new2me

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes

Last edited:
You have still done a pretty good job new2me. Were these at Twycross by any chance? I went in the autumn last year and couldn't believe the scrum round the 2 windows when the 2 very young cubs emerged for about 30 seconds. A horrid enclosure for such lovely creatures.
Hopefully there will be the patter of tiny Amur Leopard cub paws at my local wildlife park this spring,and it has totally uninterrupted views into the largest enclosure,which is huge. No fence or glass to get in the way either. Amur tiger cubs are possibility too,but they will only be able to be photographed through mesh fence for the first few months if and when they are born. Trouble is there will be the regular togs there with 5k lenses on 2k tripods and gimbals and no room for us lesser mortals ;)

It is Twycross Robin and very testing :D I only started going regularly after the cubs were born, but usually find the young Gorilla, Orang and Bonobos keep me amused if the cubs are hiding.

I take it you mean Yorkshire WP? Cracking place. I see they're getting Giant Otters soon too, so with a few cubs and a couple more Polar Bears, I imagine i'll head that way a few more times (y)

I was shocked at how nasty the enclosure was too, nasty for photography that is!
I'm going to start going to Twycross regularly though, I can do a couple of hours 'lunch' once a week or so.

Second shot is great though, really good background considering what you have to work with.

Another vote for number 2

Nice thoughtful expression and a fairly natural surrounding given the environment.

Cheers Adam and Phil (y)
I thought the second looked a bit flat initially, so thought I'd posted the first for comparison (without saying so ;) ).

I live about an hour from Twycross Adam and some days I'm struggling to spend more time there than the actual travel ... other days can be quite fulfilling though.

I work in coalville, which without traffic mishaps is 10 minutes away. All of a sudden it seems a far better idea than sitting in my car or the mess room!

Arrrgh! I normally go through Coalville, but Bardon Rd (I think) was shut so I was just guessing how to get there yesterday :D

Cheers Adam and Phil (y)
I thought the second looked a bit flat initially, so thought I'd posted the first for comparison (without saying so ;) ).

The first certainly has the sun bringing out the colour of the coat but the second is in the shade and more subtle.

I reckon you could bring out a bit more colour and contrast if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Perfect pose on the second one and nice background too I would be really happy with that shot
shame as you say about the background in the first one
its s bit frustrating sometimes that the enclosures are sometimes rubbish for photography in zoos it would be great if they planted something to hide the wires or wall in the back of enclosures
I was talking about this a while ago and apparently the new development at Chester zoo is going to be good for photography

Perfect pose on the second one and nice background too I would be really happy with that shot
Cheers Pete (y)

its s bit frustrating sometimes that the enclosures are sometimes rubbish for photography in zoos it would be great if they planted something to hide the wires or wall in the back of enclosures
On zoo visits where there was nothing posing or the weather was rubbish, I'd often imagine how things could be improved for photographers; I obviously have no idea about the costs and durability of such improvements though ;)

#1 wouldve been the better image if it wasnt for the shadow over it's back and the wall on the left. #2 Lovely pose and no signs that it was taken in a zoo. Good stuff!!

Cheers Pete (y)

On zoo visits where there was nothing posing or the weather was rubbish, I'd often imagine how things could be impr photographers; I obviously have no idea about the costs and durability of such improvements though ;)

An easy fix would be to paint silver wire fences around enclosures black
silver wire is a nightmare
I usaully dont even try now to photograph an animal behind silver wire, I wait for the animal to move
the tiger enclosure at chester has a mix of black and silver wire
when shooting through the black wire it doesnt affect the shots at all but the silver wire gives a white haze over the image:)

Last edited:
An easy fix would be to paint silver wire fences around enclosures black
silver wire is a nightmare
I usaully dont even try now to photograph an animal behind silver wire, I wait for the animal to move
the tiger enclosure at chester has a mix of black and silver wire
when shooting through the black wire it doesnt affect the shots at all but the silver wire gives a white haze over the image:)
That is interesting (y)

Last edited:
What a beautiful animal, I think you did exceptionally well considering the limitations of the enclosure.

What a beautiful animal, I think you did exceptionally well considering the limitations of the enclosure.
Much appreciated Tony (y)

Nice set Neil, that light looks like it was a right bugger though!
#2 for me (y)

Nice set Neil, that light looks like it was a right bugger though!
#2 for me (y)
Cheers Chris (y) It was nice to be able to get the ISO down and shutter speed up a little for a change

Back