L'Eroica Britannia 2015 - An In-Depth Report

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Following on from the inspiration I took from @badlywornroy last year in his photos from the L'Eroica Britannia Cycle Event, I made arrangements to get there to see the event for myself.
The L'Eroica Britannia is a cycle festival and race, well actually three races, covering approximately100k, 50k and 30k that takes place currently around Bakewell in the beautiful county of Derbyshire ... the race attracted a full complement of 3,000 riders, including participants from Italy, South Africa, France, The Netherlands and Japan!

(Full catalogue of images can be found HERE on Flickr)

So what else can I tell you about the event?
Well, as with all cycle races, it was a very serious occasion ...

RJB_1979_zpsrajlsxxb.jpg

RJB_1945_zpsmlrcibnb.jpg

Every second was made to count as the riders strived to beat all pit-stop records ...

RJB_1873_zpshrwcca5d.jpg

RJB_1870_zpseye8hf4v.jpg

There was an intensity about the desire to win that could be felt everywhere ...

RJB_2018_zpsi7szuvwh.jpg

With a strong sense of competition between the sexes ...

RJB_2114_zpsjyl0giey.jpg

For many it was simply a case of 'head down and make for the Finish line' ...

RJB_2285_zpsmpldnqjw.jpg

Whilst for others, it was a far more relaxed affair ...

RJB_2357_zpsooe2cvvx.jpg

Last edited:
Of course all sections of society were involved ... from the Gentry ...

RJB_2300_zps9vtlvteu.jpg

RJB_2011_zpsh2yzode9.jpg

To the Common Man ...

RJB_2328_zpsgx2mpsi1.jpg

and a few Ladies too ...

RJB_2262_zps3dlx8jzu.jpg

RJB_2157_zpskuypvns3.jpg

All of the family were welcome, couples, the elderly and the young ...

RJB_2376_zpswhzqdtaf.jpg

RJB_2161_zpsouark5wd.jpg

RJB_2211_zpsjuyrcofz.jpg

The field was quite stretched out at times ...

RJB_2182_zpszggtexuz.jpg

Whilst at other times single individuals could be seen checking the map for directions ...

RJB_2208_zps1c3tce6f.jpg

There was a very light police presence ...

RJB_2460_zps0fjswsa8.jpg

and as they made for home, all seemed to agree that it was a very happy event!

RJB_2348_zpszuwuwn9y.jpg

More reports as we receive them :D

Great shots Roger and the comments add to the sense of fun. I think your photos are better than mine (which doesn't really surprise me) and I assume you found it well worth attending.

Where did you take your pictures ?

Looking forward to seeing more, is there more ?

Roy

Great shots Roger and the comments add to the sense of fun. I think your photos are better than mine (which doesn't really surprise me) and I assume you found it well worth attending.

Where did you take your pictures ?

Looking forward to seeing more, is there more ?

Roy

Thanks Roy, your inspiring photos from last year's event gave me something to aim for.
It was well worth attending and I enjoyed it immensely ... we were based in the village of Eyam (the 'Plague Village') and I took my photos around Tideswell and at various points in the countryside between Tideswell and Eyam.

Yes there are more ... I took around 1,500!
All so far processed can be seen on Flickr

Last edited:
Great set of images, you have managed to capture my mate at the Eyam feed station with me behind. It was a superb day riding with a great mix of very friendly cyclists, it would also be a superb event to photograph and your images are better than the event photographers.

Thank you Paul, I appreciate your comments, it was a great event to photograph and a lovely friendly bunch of people as you say ... I was amazed at how little spectator support there was on the route, considering it was such a colourful event, maybe they all stayed in Bakewell. The feed station here, incidentally, was in Tideswell, behind the church ... we stayed at a B&B in Eyam but didn't know of its colourful history with the plague until we arrived there :)

The field was quite stretched out at times ...

RJB_2182_zpszggtexuz.jpg

Whilst at other times single individuals could be seen checking the map for directions ...

RJB_2208_zps1c3tce6f.jpg

There was a very light police presence ...

RJB_2460_zps0fjswsa8.jpg

and as they made for home, all seemed to agree that it was a very happy event!

RJB_2348_zpszuwuwn9y.jpg

More reports as we receive them :D
Hi, I would like to use one of your great shots for an article I'm writing for a cycling mag. Could you please let me know if you are happy with the idea and the terms and conditions? Thanks

He
Hi, I would like to use one of your great shots for an article I'm writing for a cycling mag. Could you please let me know if you are happy with the idea and the terms and conditions? Thanks
Hello Keith, just back from holiday with no Internet ... will contact you in due course :)

It looks like a fun event and you have captured it well. Like the commentaries too, really adds to the images.

Some top quality images there and the feeling of the event was conveyed fantastically in your images.

Back