Beginner Let sleeping dogs lie

Name
Sheylara
Edit My Images
Yes
First time posting a photo up for critique (not counting TP52). I wasn't going to post anything for a long time yet, but I wanted to ask some specific questions about this one!

Three months ago (when I first got my DSLR), I would have been really happy with this shot, but reading general critiques in TP have made me very aware of all the faults in my photos (whether they actually exist or not).

For some reason, I can't really make up my mind about this photo so would like some questions answered!

1. Is the fire in the background considered overblown highlights?
2. Is the white balance okay?
3. Is the photo too dark? I think the darkness suits the mood (dog sleeping near fireplace) but I usually like brighter photos where you can see more details of the subject. So I can't decide.
4. Anything else wrong or can be improved in this photo?

Thanks for looking!

Sleeping dog
by Sheylara, on Flickr

I think it's a lovely photo that does indeed set a very cozy relaxed mood!

I'm viewing it on my iphone and I trust it a lot more than my desktop IPS panel. Saying that, the colours are very nice and the exposure seems perfect for the mood. Composition wise it follows all the rules and my eye wants to go directly to the dogs face!

All together I think it's an outstanding photo..

I think it's a lovely photo that does indeed set a very cozy relaxed mood!

I'm viewing it on my iphone and I trust it a lot more than my desktop IPS panel. Saying that, the colours are very nice and the exposure seems perfect for the mood. Composition wise it follows all the rules and my eye wants to go directly to the dogs face!

All together I think it's an outstanding photo..

Thank you, Jacques. It's really nice of you to comment, and such lovely comments, too. :oops: :$

I like the fire in the background... well, it's something that looks like fire. I think, it totally makes the shot.

Thank you for your comment, Oksana! I do like nice bokeh lights in photos, but was wondering if mine doesn't quite make the cut. :)

Hi. I think you have captured this sleeping pooch really well with clear focus on the head and a nice soft background. For me, the fire is a bit of a distractions tho'. The bright highlight pulld my eye away from the dog which is a shame because he is looking so cute and cosy but it's a great photo for 3 months! :clap:

Hi. I think you have captured this sleeping pooch really well with clear focus on the head and a nice soft background. For me, the fire is a bit of a distractions tho'. The bright highlight pulld my eye away from the dog which is a shame because he is looking so cute and cosy but it's a great photo for 3 months! :clap:
Thanks for your feedback, Andrea! It's very much appreciated. :) Yes, I can see how the fire could be a distracting element.

Perfect as is. You captured the atmosphere spot on. Your doing fab for 3 months in :)

Gaz

Last edited:
It's a nice shot and seeing as you asked some specific questions I'll give my view on some answers :)

1. Is the fire in the background considered overblown highlights? - Yes the middle of the fire is blown but in this instance because it isn't the main focus of the shot AND it is majorly OOF I don't think it matters and actually quite like the effect.
2. Is the white balance okay? It is for me although these shots are often difficult as you have two light sources - daylight and firelight which are vastly different
3. Is the photo too dark? I think the darkness suits the mood (dog sleeping near fireplace) but I usually like brighter photos where you can see more details of the subject. So I can't decide. Works for me, maybe a touch lighter would work or maybe push the shadows slightly but it isn't that necessary and down to preference
4. Anything else wrong or can be improved in this photo? I would probably crop out the OOF chair on the right edge

All in all a very nice shot :)

Perfect as is. You captured the atmosphere spot on. Your doing fab for 3 months in :)

Gaz

Thank you, Gary, very kind of you to say so. :)

Yep, that works very well for me. Well done and cute pooch!

Thanks for your comment, Dunc! :)

It's a nice shot and seeing as you asked some specific questions I'll give my view on some answers :)

1. Is the fire in the background considered overblown highlights? - Yes the middle of the fire is blown but in this instance because it isn't the main focus of the shot AND it is majorly OOF I don't think it matters and actually quite like the effect.
2. Is the white balance okay? It is for me although these shots are often difficult as you have two light sources - daylight and firelight which are vastly different
3. Is the photo too dark? I think the darkness suits the mood (dog sleeping near fireplace) but I usually like brighter photos where you can see more details of the subject. So I can't decide. Works for me, maybe a touch lighter would work or maybe push the shadows slightly but it isn't that necessary and down to preference
4. Anything else wrong or can be improved in this photo? I would probably crop out the OOF chair on the right edge

All in all a very nice shot :)

Thanks, Ned, for answering all my questions and your kind comments. :) It's very helpful!

Is that your 52 on Flickr? some very nice shots there :)
Thank you! :) Yes. All the photos in my Flickr (except this dog here) are my 52. Thanks for taking the time to look!

Back