B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

WffKWxQ.jpg

^^what's it like reversed so the guy is walking left to right?
I just feel slightly odd reading the image from left to right and coming up against the guys walking the other way.

^^what's it like reversed so the guy is walking left to right?
I just feel slightly odd reading the image from left to right and coming up against the guys walking the other way.

You might just have hit on something here with this, i think i like it better left to right :)

F4T10ep.jpg

Mychildhood was not a very happy one and I needed a place to escape to. I lived half a mile from an abandoned mine site - South Wheal Frances - and would hide away in the derelict buildings. My first camera was a 1930s folding Agfa with which I learnt the basics - guessing exposures, finding out about depth of field and so on. I used to photograph these buildings. Last week, Bestbeloved took us back to Cornwall and I spent a morning here reliving my early photography. These are digital pictures but I have done them in monochrome to match my early efforts.
South Francis buildings-17.jpgSouth Francis buildings-13.jpgSouth Francis buildings-12.jpg

Very nice set, John. I photographed here many years ago on a pretty wild, gloomy Cornish day, and got some very atmospheric photos, but sadly the negs are long lost. I recall that all the shafts were still open, and completely unfenced! The Marriotts shaft was wide, cylindrical and brick lined, and I believe descended some 6000ft. As I suffer from vertigo, I crawled up to it on my belly so as to peer into the stygian depths!

I went back a few years ago and the shafts are all capped and safe, and the old tramway is used by joggers, all very much tamer than it used to be.

I don't suppose you still have your old negatives?

Audley End House laundry room. Unfortunately I could move back far enough to get the whole room in the shot.

Audley End House by Paul, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice set, John. I photographed here many years ago on a pretty wild, gloomy Cornish day, and got some very atmospheric photos, but sadly the negs are long lost. I recall that all the shafts were still open, and completely unfenced! The Marriotts shaft was wide, cylindrical and brick lined, and I believe descended some 6000ft. As I suffer from vertigo, I crawled up to it on my belly so as to peer into the stygian depths!

I went back a few years ago and the shafts are all capped and safe, and the old tramway is used by joggers, all very much tamer than it used to be.

I don't suppose you still have your old negatives?
Negatives long gone, I'm afraid. When I was a child, Marriott's shaft was not only not capped but our water supply to Treskillard was pumped from there, filtered through sand and pumped to the 'village'. We got mains water from Stithians in 1966. The burras are gone - Elephant Burra was about twice as tall as the tallest building and Long Burra went most of the way to Piece. (Our childhood names for the burras - a burra is a dump of mine waste). As children we learnt to recognise where shafts were - not only near buildings but on field edges and in briar patches.

DBLK22k- by geof worrall, on Flickr

an old friend...
it is a b>w conversion...so some toning seems apparent but not deliberate??

Back