B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

"IT MADE EXPLORE" :) :)

This snap I did a time or two ago but was never really satisfied with the presentation, so its one I have revisited since changing how I do my PP.

Just a simple tourist type Snapograph taken at The South Bank London UK of some of the pods at the famous London Eye tourist attraction.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/270th @ F8, ISO-200, Polarizing Filter, Handheld.
My London (4)-03529 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

Waitresses in the Gloucester Cathedral Tearoom. They recognised my Leica as we queued to order, because they were both studying art and photography!

Waitresses in Gloucester Cathedral restaurant Leica M3 24.JPG

This has everything going for it. I love the composition and use of lines and vanishing point (y)

Thanks Steve, I appreciate that. I love anything with central perspectives and vanishing points.

Just a simple landscape style Snapograph taken at Kent UK of a sailing type boat moored up along the creek.

X-H1, 23mm F1.4 Lens, 1/1500th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Willow Of Heart-03532 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)
Must say George, you get the very best out of your images.
The tones are superb, - whatever style of pp you have changed to suits your style very, very well.

Must say George, you get the very best out of your images.
The tones are superb, - whatever style of pp you have changed to suits your style very, very well.

Thank you Paul, I very much appreciate your reply.

Mmmm...soot & chalk processing...love it!
In the 1960s we called it "lith" because the common way to achieve it was to use the materials that offset litho printers used to create their plates. This was the period when everyone and his sister was making a magazine for the least money. Turning images into "soot and whitewash", meant you didn't need to pay for screening (which often didn't do much for image clarity, in any case).

Another (not so extreme) example...

Bearded man in Sidwell Street Exeter G9 P1010062.JPG

In the 1960s we called it "lith" because the common way to achieve it was to use the materials that offset litho printers used to create their plates. This was the period when everyone and his sister was making a magazine for the least money. Turning images into "soot and whitewash", meant you didn't need to pay for screening (which often didn't do much for image clarity, in any case).

Another (not so extreme) example...

View attachment 317987
Thanks for the additional info, Andrew. I knew the process originated 'in the days of darkrooms', but didn't know how the effect was achieved, nor that it was ofen done to save money.

Back