B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

Fuji Dave

Teacher's Pet, of Borg
Name
FEELING GREAT
Edit My Images
No
An old one with the Canon 70D, Lancing College.

Lancing College 55.jpg

cannockwolf

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
An old one with the Canon 70D, Lancing College.
The image looks a bit muddy with no highlights Dave, was it a deliberate processing or just a difference in our monitor calibration?

Fuji Dave

Teacher's Pet, of Borg
Name
FEELING GREAT
Edit My Images
No
The image looks a bit muddy with no highlights Dave, was it a deliberate processing or just a difference in our monitor calibration?

Thank you, I did try to edit to get it dark and moody but on my old laptop. Now using an Imac.

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a Shure 55SH Microphone waiting to be used by a street performer.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/240th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Waiting For The Vocalist-03535 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
This snap I did a time or two ago but was never really satisfied with the presentation, so its one I have revisited since changing how I do my PP.

Just a simple tourist type Snapograph taken at London UK of a scene looking out from the viewing gallery at the Tate Modern.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/200th @ F8, ISO-200, Polarizing Filter, Handheld.
My London (5)-03530 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst I like it I do feel it would be better in colour?
Just my thought as I took a very similar shot many years ago
I shot a jpeg using the standard Monochrome + R Filter film simulation on my Fuji X-E2 and liked the look instantly. The accompanying raw photo obviously looked a lot more drab, so I didn't even consider it. I'll have another look, but I feel that it would lack the punch of the B&W.

Edit My Images
No
I shot a jpeg using the standard Monochrome + R Filter film simulation on my Fuji X-E2 and liked the look instantly. The accompanying raw photo obviously looked a lot more drab, so I didn't even consider it. I'll have another look, but I feel that it would lack the punch of the B&W.
Be interesting to post both side by side and see what people think, whilst I love Black and White I feel it suits some subjects better than others.
The main thing is you like it so nothing else matters, I wonder if I can find my one from years ago? Will have a look

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
Be interesting to post both side by side and see what people think, whilst I love Black and White I feel it suits some subjects better than others.
The main thing is you like it so nothing else matters, I wonder if I can find my one from years ago? Will have a look
I'd be interested to see it. I'll try and make time later today to process a colour version, and see who likes which. I sometimes think it would be useful to be able to include a poll in a post.

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
"It Made Explore" :) :)

Just a simple Snapograph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of a discarded & dilapidated boat that is just one of the many things that are scattered about the beach that have just been left behind to rot. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rot & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 10-24mm Lens, 1/280th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Discarded Boat (6)-03534 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
Please excuse the colour photo in a Black and White thread. It's just so that @winchman and I can compare two versions of the same photo.

In the mono version, I upped the whites a tad as the weather wan't brilliant on that day, and I matched this in the colour version but felt that I could go higher without detriment to the image.

Outside the Beigel Shop
by Garry Knight, on Flickr

Outside the Beigel Shop - Colour Version

Edit My Images
No
Please excuse the colour photo in a Black and White thread. It's just so that @winchman and I can compare two versions of the same photo.

In the mono version, I upped the whites a tad as the weather wan't brilliant on that day, and I matched this in the colour version but felt that I could go higher without detriment to the image.

Outside the Beigel Shop

Outside the Beigel Shop - Colour Version
That's tough!
I think that the colour version does add something but the disadvantage is that it also highlights some things that you maybe don't want highlighted, (the big bright yellow & red Beigel Shop sign!), so on balance the B&W works best IMO. :)

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
I've done several snaps in this sort of style over the years but without a doubt this presentation is the most pleasing to me so far.

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a couple of folk out strolling in the sunshine. I've deliberately gone for a high contrast presentation to this snap to emphasize the contre-jour light & shadows.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/2000th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Faceless (22)-03533 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
If the guy in the shop notices people pointing a camera at them, he sometimes comes out and stares until you go away. Post-lockdown, maybe not so much.
Ah, lol, does he. I had my camera inside my shoulder bag at that time and just gave a few seconds glance at those cameras. None of them would interest me as far as using them, but they look cool.