B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

Chris increasing the contrast on that would really improve it a lot it lacks highlights on the sea or any blacks either.

Edit
I was able to download this as a full size file from your Flick so I suggest changing your setting and I hope you dont mind but here is the sort of thing I meant posted larger too. It is just a quick edit that could be done better

Thanks for your comments Alf, much appreciated. I will have a look at the black and white levels to improve the contrast levels and perhaps minimise the effect of the haze too, although I quite like the way that the "mothership" is in the background mist.

Chris

Thanks for your comments Alf, much appreciated. I will have a look at the black and white levels to improve the contrast levels and perhaps minimise the effect of the haze too, although I quite like the way that the "mothership" is in the background mist.

Chris
I like the haze I wouldnt reduce it.

How do you convert to mono?

How do you convert to mono?

To be honest Alf, I took the lazy option and used the saturation slider in LR. I'm vaguely aware that there are more sophisticated options utilising different colour channels, but I've not tried these - a job for the coming dark nights.

Chris

Have a look at this there are other aproaches

Thanks for the link Alf, an interesting video, I think his final image was a little over-processed but that's just my view. The use of the colour channels adds a lot more possibility to get the best out of a B&W image - something to keep me busy when the clocks go back.

I've very much enjoying all the B&W shots here.

Chris

Are there rain drops on your lens? Apart from that its a great looking building well seen and captured.

I don't do a great deal with black and white.
Two from a climb in the Cuillins on Skye

21549840915_ee85030cf8_h.jpg

20872291820_5d67fd137a_h.jpg

I don't do a great deal with black and white.
Two from a climb in the Cuillins on Skye

21549840915_ee85030cf8_h.jpg

20872291820_5d67fd137a_h.jpg

Two very nice images Matty, I like both of these very much.(y)

George.

The first one is excellent Matty - peering into the abyss. Makes me feel just a little bit nervous with the figure so close to the edge!

Chris

I love b&w - gem stone worker - India

View attachment 49375

That's nice Stephen, good composition with a very nice B&W conversion showing a full range of tones.(y)

George.

The PP was probably more luck than anything. Lightroom 5 is still a bit of a mystery to me. Loved the trip to India, SO many images to take. I had a 35mm prime on my D7000, it really made me think about what I took. Some good and lots not so good. Hoping to go back next year. The possibilities with street photography are endless.

India and Nepal-8433.jpg

India and Nepal-8419-2.jpg

The PP was probably more luck than anything. Lightroom 5 is still a bit of a mystery to me. Loved the trip to India, SO many images to take. I had a 35mm prime on my D7000, it really made me think about what I took. Some good and lots not so good. Hoping to go back next year. The possibilities with street photography are endless.

View attachment 49463

View attachment 49464

Now your showing off Steven (only joking),:D:D these two shots are equally as good as your last posting.(y)

George.

Thanks George. There isn't anyone to discuss my images with, that's the problem. I need to find a "buddy" to go through my stuff every so often and help me on my way. I'll try - "Lonely photographer wishes to meet similar without my other half finding out." :meh: :indifferent:

Liking that a lot but the ocd in me wants to see it either straight or more of an angle, still a cracking shot though.

Haha - I know what you mean! But it was very muddy ground, I don't know if I'd have got the shot at all if I'd moved. I could go back to the original and see if there's scope for a rotation crop - I suspect not.

Back