B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

Hi there!
First time for me to post pics on a forum, so here a sample to introduce myself.
Hope you will like them.

Shot taken with a Fuji X100:

Snowy bride
by stephane mangin, on Flickr

Shot taken with a Medium format camera Bronica Zenza S2:
img006 by stephane mangin, on Flickr

Shot taken with a Leica M9 and Voigtlander 21mm ASPH F1.8:
1292193_10151856630037422_1299882406_o by stephane mangin, on Flickr

Interesting set, Stephane. In the second one (taken with the Bronnie S2), there seems to be a wavy or streaked effect in the branches of the middle tree. At first I thought the pic might be upside down, as the bottom half is more contrasty and sharper. Did you dev this yourself? If it is the right way up, it looks a bit as if something odd has happened during development. That said, I do like the image.

Interesting set, Stephane. In the second one (taken with the Bronnie S2), there seems to be a wavy or streaked effect in the branches of the middle tree. At first I thought the pic might be upside down, as the bottom half is more contrasty and sharper. Did you dev this yourself? If it is the right way up, it looks a bit as if something odd has happened during development. That said, I do like the image.

Thanks ChrisR!
You guessed right for the 2d picture, it is actually composed upside down, I just thought the picture would be more interesting that way. I didn't develop it myself, the waves are from the gigantic puddle in front of the tree.

Thanks ChrisR!
You guessed right for the 2d picture, it is actually composed upside down, I just thought the picture would be more interesting that way. I didn't develop it myself, the waves are from the gigantic puddle in front of the tree.

Aha! My second thought was that I was wrong, but when I turned my laptop upside down I was more confident of being right!

If you're into film, why not visit us in the Film & Conventional subforum on here? There's even a Bronica owners thread.

Ah ah, well guess for sure.
I am actually using both medium, digital and film but definitely have a look at the Bronica thread. What a lovely (and clunky) machine that is!

A very rare selfy I did for a Facebokk challenge a couple of weeks ago :)

me2S.jpg

Got a little lucky here with the sun breaking through centrally over the Charles Bridge in Prague, on what was otherwise a real gloomy dark day.
Actually shot this with some of my really old dust gathered stuff.. an 11 year old Canon 20D... what i first started out with! Took me right back to why i first started. Loved it.119-2.jpg

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but folk who post here might be interested in the Black and White Photography Learning Forum, which has recently been reborn on the same underlying forum software as TP. In it's old incarnation on Runboard it was pretty difficult to use, but now it's much better. And because people are having to register afresh, there's not so much of the "old guard" vs "new folk" concerns that I had when I first joined the old forum a few weeks ago. I quite enjoy it, and there are some great photos on there (plus some not so great ones, like mine!). Anyway, some of you who are interested in black and white might find it useful.

A very rare selfy I did for a Facebokk challenge a couple of weeks ago

…except for the too hight lights behind the eye… very cool portrait Brian!

…except for the too hight lights behind the eye… very cool portrait Brian!

Thanks for the feedback :)

The blown sections behind the eye were actually done in Photoshop, I was trying for a hard/gritty feeling to the image :)

Last edited:
I was trying for a hard/gritty feeling to the image

There is a better way to achieve this effect
in your converter and no need for PS!

I like everything of it and the rendition…
but the way it fills the frame…
would that work upside down?

I like everything of it and the rendition…
but the way it fills the frame…
would that work upside down?

I think it probably would ... Thanks, K.

Ok Paul, I surrender.
my brain can't decode that one… what is it?

Haha its a room half filled with sump oil. The bit angling out from the bottom left corner is actually a metal trench, but health and safety banned the public from using it.

Back