B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

ndsCiJ.jpg

Last edited:
A few from Clay Mills Victorian Pumping Station.

DSCF0715 by Simon, on Flickr

DSCF0706 by Simon, on Flickr

DSCF0685 by Simon, on Flickr

DSCF0677 by Simon, on Flickr

3 and 4 for me..the steam always wins
brings back memories of my days in the shipyards
did a blacksmith training course for a year...fire welding etc
and worked on many a steam engine...not with the beam though
on tugs and paddle steamers
diesel was my main task as i progressed in the trade of marine fitter
alas i left it all behind to do structural engineering and accounting
sigh

Last edited:
dohhhh

do you have others...and/or shotguns
i had some in the past

No, not in this country. If I were in the states I would, for sure.

No, not in this country. If I were in the states I would, for sure.

the second amendment...yes!!
thats why all americans can wear T shirts anywhere at any time...the right to bear arms

https://ifunny.co/fun/m4Z3E6vw2

:D
forearmed is forewarned..?

i had a few shotguns..and killed a lot of clay pigeons
still got my webley starting pistol and a few blanks...

Last edited:
Taken over 10 years ago on my Fuji Finepix A204 2 megapixel compact. I found it in a folder of random, shot-from-the-hip pictures I took when in London one day. It stood out because of the wavy pattern on the lights and figures, and I kinda like it as an abstract.

Walking through a dream
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

How do you all get your B&W photos? Is it done in camera or processing on the computer?
I haven’t found out how to take B&W pictures in camera yet – this was processed on my computer. Any thoughts/advice on how I can improve would be appreciated.

DSC_5554 BW - Yamaha by Paul Judge, on Flickr

How do you all get your B&W photos? Is it done in camera or processing on the computer?
I haven’t found out how to take B&W pictures in camera yet – this was processed on my computer. Any thoughts/advice on how I can improve would be appreciated.

I do 99.5% of my b/w conversions from a RAW in Lightroom.

I'm an old-school b/w film photographer, so I default to emulating a mild yellow filter, which boosts the yellow (and a bit of orange and red) and cuts blue (and a bit of cyan and purple). That tends to preserve any skin tones that may be present in the image at a realistic level and also brings out any detail available in the sky.

I'll then maybe adjust that to taste before touching any tonal controls. After that it's a matter of judgement and playing with the tone and colour conversion levels against each other to achieve a pleasing result.

I'll often take the (now visually monochrome) file into Photoshop for fine adjustments of tone and then convert the RGB image to a greyscale (flattening any layers in the process) to save on disk space.

Last edited:
Thank you, Rob, that is very helpful. I have never used RAW so may have to start – oh dear, something else to try and learn.

One of my snaps from a weekend away with the wife in Wales. I didn't have ages to hang around for the right wave and looking back now I'm not all that happy with the composition, I think more of the wave splash might help but I was trying to focus more on the steps that the actual wave. Meh, still something I like about it.

Aberystwyth Waves BW by Craigus89, on Flickr

Thank you, Rob, that is very helpful. I have never used RAW so may have to start – oh dear, something else to try and learn.

Providing it's well exposed, if you are fairly gentle with the file (don't push the sliders too far) there's probably not a huge amount I do that you couldn't also do with a JPEG. RAW does give you a level of control over sharpening that's impossible with JPEG.

I still think of RAW files as a 'digital negative' and when I'm shooting b/w film, I wouldn't toss my negatives. JPEG is probably closer to using slide film

OK thank you Rob. I will try some more in the next few days, if they turn out ok I might even post one or two.

Back