B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

Some Brecon waterfalls, Tmax 400 film in a 40-year-old (nearly) Pentax MX:

1)

2)

3)

Bit of a damp day!
These are all technically flawed, despite having a good range of tones - but are emotionally engaging, and thus winners for me. The first contains a wonderful progression from the distant fall at the top to the churning pool in the foreground - this is emotionally satisfying and without pretence - relating directly to how we are and how we feel. Good that you didn't use an ND filter to blur the water more and remove it from how we experience things.

The second looks so unsharp that it has almost a Victorian postcard look.

The third is maybe the most awkward and it's about the tones - those blank greys of the leaves in front of the waterfall just don't satisfy. But yet again, it has something humanly and emotionally satisfying in it.

These are all technically flawed, despite having a good range of tones - but are emotionally engaging, and thus winners for me. The first contains a wonderful progression from the distant fall at the top to the churning pool in the foreground - this is emotionally satisfying and without pretence - relating directly to how we are and how we feel. Good that you didn't use an ND filter to blur the water more and remove it from how we experience things.

The second looks so unsharp that it has almost a Victorian postcard look.

The third is maybe the most awkward and it's about the tones - those blank greys of the leaves in front of the waterfall just don't satisfy. But yet again, it has something humanly and emotionally satisfying in it.

Thanks, Roger.

How do Yall' like my models? I think my Grands are so cool to let me take their pictures. They are literally inches away, for my 30 year old Minolta lens. The little one goes into pose-mode, he loves his picture taken.

Nov. 22, 2015 026.jpg Nov. 22, 2015 022.jpg

Attachments

• Nov. 22, 2015 027.jpg
    Nov. 22, 2015 027.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'd forgotten about this thread. Some stunning and beautiful images.

Old Bruge. Nikon F100 on Agfa Vista 200, converted to make it look old.
Old-Brugge by Andy, on Flickr

Smoke Through the Trees. Chester Cathedral on a 1938 Voigtlander Baby Bessa and Fomapan 100 film.
Smoke-through-the-trees by Andy, on Flickr

A Lily. Large format MPP Mk viii on Shanghai GP3 film.
Lily2 by Andy, on Flickr

Sorry to drag the quality down.

Andy

How do Yall' like my models? I think my Grands are so cool to let me take their pictures. They are literally inches away, for my 30 year old Minolta lens. The little one goes into pose-mode, he loves his picture taken.

View attachment 51112 View attachment 51113

If I am to be honest, a bit too 'in yer face', with very flat, uniform (flash?) lighting that fails to flatter, and exposes spots and skin flaws rather harshly. Better to pull back just a bit, with natural lighting, and some very easy photoshopping on the 'spigs'. The focus has to be spot on too, on the eyes.

If I am to be honest, a bit too 'in yer face', with very flat, uniform (flash?) lighting that fails to flatter, and exposes spots and skin flaws rather harshly. Better to pull back just a bit, with natural lighting, and some very easy photoshopping on the 'spigs'. The focus has to be spot on too, on the eyes.
I agree about the lighting, but I really do like the close up "in yer face" aspect. Window light may have worked better?

I would appreciate all feedback both good and bad as im only an amateur...Thanks

Jason, I feel your image lacks a focal point. I do enjoy vanishing point perspectives such as what you have given us here but believe it just needs something else within the scene for my eye to focus on.
I think a crop would help, just above the end of the handrails to make the image a panoramic.

Your sensor could do with a clean too, there are a few dust bunnies.

Jason, I feel your image lacks a focal point. I do enjoy vanishing point perspectives such as what you have given us here but believe it just needs something else within the scene for my eye to focus on.
I think a crop would help, just above the end of the handrails to make the image a panoramic.

Your sensor could do with a clean too, there are a few dust bunnies.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I noticed one spot but the 2 dark spots are seagulls out to sea.

This is very very odd. I'm successfully uploading pictures and posting them, but then they disappear (the entire post). Anyone know what's going on? Just started happening the last day or two.

NO, the one in my avatar is my own balloon. I flew orange ones with blue spirals at Tiverton. G-CISB (the '56 in the video) on Friday evening launch with my wife and I took G-CISC a '77 out on the Saturday evening due to the "interesting conditions" (with a big lad who can take a few knocks) as it happened we got an unexpectedly good landing. Loved the festival, wish I'd spent more time in the arena.

EDIT:

That's one of them. :) - lets not hijack the thread!

Last edited:
NO, the one in my avatar is my own balloon. I flew orange ones with blue spirals at Tiverton. G-CISB (the '56 in the video) on Friday evening launch with my wife and I took G-CISC a '77 out on the Saturday evening due to the "interesting conditions" (with a big lad who can take a few knocks) as it happened we got an unexpectedly good landing. Loved the festival, wish I'd spent more time in the arena.
I didn't notice your link at first - after I did I edited my post. I think that's your balloon in shot? I've got a few of that one, but probably better not post them here in the B&W thread!

It was good in the arena, especially on the Friday when I went - some very interesting weather, with thundery skies and lightning! I tried to see myself shooting you on your takeoff (that was the 6PM mass ascent?) but sadly the figures on the far side of the arena are too small to pick out any detail.

Last edited:
Back