B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

An old one with the Canon 70D, Lancing College.

The image looks a bit muddy with no highlights Dave, was it a deliberate processing or just a difference in our monitor calibration?

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a Shure 55SH Microphone waiting to be used by a street performer.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

Waiting For The Vocalist-03535 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

Last edited:
This snap I did a time or two ago but was never really satisfied with the presentation, so its one I have revisited since changing how I do my PP.

Just a simple tourist type Snapograph taken at London UK of a scene looking out from the viewing gallery at the Tate Modern.

My London (5)-03530 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
Whilst I like it I do feel it would be better in colour?
Just my thought as I took a very similar shot many years ago

I shot a jpeg using the standard Monochrome + R Filter film simulation on my Fuji X-E2 and liked the look instantly. The accompanying raw photo obviously looked a lot more drab, so I didn't even consider it. I'll have another look, but I feel that it would lack the punch of the B&W.

I shot a jpeg using the standard Monochrome + R Filter film simulation on my Fuji X-E2 and liked the look instantly. The accompanying raw photo obviously looked a lot more drab, so I didn't even consider it. I'll have another look, but I feel that it would lack the punch of the B&W.
Be interesting to post both side by side and see what people think, whilst I love Black and White I feel it suits some subjects better than others.
The main thing is you like it so nothing else matters, I wonder if I can find my one from years ago? Will have a look

Be interesting to post both side by side and see what people think, whilst I love Black and White I feel it suits some subjects better than others.
The main thing is you like it so nothing else matters, I wonder if I can find my one from years ago? Will have a look

I'd be interested to see it. I'll try and make time later today to process a colour version, and see who likes which. I sometimes think it would be useful to be able to include a poll in a post.

"It Made Explore" :) :)

Just a simple Snapograph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of a discarded & dilapidated boat that is just one of the many things that are scattered about the beach that have just been left behind to rot. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rot & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

Discarded Boat (6)-03534 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:

Please excuse the colour photo in a Black and White thread. It's just so that @winchman and I can compare two versions of the same photo.

In the mono version, I upped the whites a tad as the weather wan't brilliant on that day, and I matched this in the colour version but felt that I could go higher without detriment to the image.

Outside the Beigel Shop
by Garry Knight, on Flickr

Outside the Beigel Shop - Colour Version

Please excuse the colour photo in a Black and White thread. It's just so that @winchman and I can compare two versions of the same photo.

In the mono version, I upped the whites a tad as the weather wan't brilliant on that day, and I matched this in the colour version but felt that I could go higher without detriment to the image.

Outside the Beigel Shop

Outside the Beigel Shop - Colour Version

That's tough!
I think that the colour version does add something but the disadvantage is that it also highlights some things that you maybe don't want highlighted, (the big bright yellow & red Beigel Shop sign!), so on balance the B&W works best IMO. :)

I've done several snaps in this sort of style over the years but without a doubt this presentation is the most pleasing to me so far.

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a couple of folk out strolling in the sunshine. I've deliberately gone for a high contrast presentation to this snap to emphasize the contre-jour light & shadows.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

Faceless (22)-03533 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
If the guy in the shop notices people pointing a camera at them, he sometimes comes out and stares until you go away. Post-lockdown, maybe not so much.

Ah, lol, does he. I had my camera inside my shoulder bag at that time and just gave a few seconds glance at those cameras. None of them would interest me as far as using them, but they look cool.

Back