Critique leveret down the barrel

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
There 's something special about this type of image for me,I know I'll never tire of trying to get a better one ,but sometime I wonder if it's not the image at all that is really making me hungry. It crossed my mind recently that I love trying to get this because I really am hooked by that feeling of awe/ adrenelin one gets when a hare decides to come and see . This image that bit more special for a couple of reasons,first for the viewer,no track no run,so this hare isn't being ambushed ,it is approaching because it's curious, and the lack of run tells the more observant viewer that.

For me a bit special because this kidlet is a bit wary of me, there is a reason she feels a bit more secure now In some ways one might say it is baited,technically I suppose it is ,but the method is pretty unorthodox,essentially I have a live wild hare a bigger kid I know well called Taz,'erm somewhere a couple of feet or so from my head. The younger kidlet has just mugged Taz (they do this alot:D , I haven't a clue what's going on or why,but little kids run up behind bigger ones or adults ,and sometimes physically jump on them ,but always seemingly make them jump. It's a lovely thing to watch,it always makes me laugh . This social side surprised me,it's the coolest thing learning from them.............. not a book not the web first hand,and then trying to work out the whys.;)

It was simply one of those nights ,as I said last time a rare thing !! Lovely light for someone grafting isn't always easily found,to get a couple of hare kids and that light one has to be very lucky ,It's what we all yearn for I guess,it's good to cherish these moments

So here we have one kidlet coming straight for me stayed in landscape for a change frame not cropped ,a second bigger kid is somewhere too close to even comtemplate images and I'm HH trying to keep calm totally failing by the way:p) .

I read recently that focus oft latches to the shoulder in similar images and f8 might help keep the eyes in. Ironically this is f8 Over to you on sharps an' all that.

Processed in dpp the pscc

Guys you will not offend if you don't like or see something tell me please,what others see we oft miss being so wrapped up in trying to get said image "right".

Cheers for the kind thoughts on the last image surprising that:) This is also with the 300f2.8 and 1.4 . 1Div 1/2000 f8 iso 3200

_70F6825smaller size by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care

stu

Cute hare you have there Stuart. I can't say I've seen one of these before in the wild. It's the more common rabbit I've seen and if they are similar in the way they behave, you're lucky to get a head on shot like that. Nice work

Another beauty, but more than that Stu, because of the way you observe and photograph you bring out the character in these engaging creatures. She looks so intent, seemingly on you, but you know it's Taz she's focused on. I'd love to see her 'mugging' Taz. That does seem to be fairly common animal behaviour - bouncing the older animals. I guess for predators it's part of stalking play, for prey animals it might be just because it's fun.
Gil, go find yourself a hare. There really is something special about them. Even when you see them regularly you'll never tire of them. They are quite different to rabbits.

What a very good capture of this captivating animal- much enjoyed:clap:

Cute hare you have there Stuart. I can't say I've seen one of these before in the wild. It's the more common rabbit I've seen and if they are similar in the way they behave, you're lucky to get a head on shot like that. Nice work

Gil,i've read what Janny mentioned and I completely agree with her sentiments. Much wisdom there !!! ;) You need to see this wonderful animal mate you really do.

Gil you'll probably be blown away just by seeing one. If you have only seen our rabbits a fullgrown hare will amaze with it's sheer size,just as a first off. Even if that encounter isn't quite as nice as the one above.this is one animals worth looking for. They are special.Gil,very very special,their back legs are a wonder,they half walk on tippy toes,half full foot,this gives a set of really peculiar movements when one takes in to account they are all being made by the same beast when walking If one stumbles into a hare in the middle of a field and only half glimpsesthey almost roll,that's the perception they give ,into full flight. . One moment they look soft and feminine another,just a head turn, much more hard an angular,all but from a rabbit to a roo..

Massive ears read these black tips white eyes beneath will give you hare not wabbit : Thier colour varies greatly but think more orange than a rabbit

Gil,their eyes are all but expressionless,apart from dozy stuff,but their ears say alot,yet those massive ears can be invisible in some frames. Those ears let me get close Gill,when stalking something built like this, .one has to have a way in,the ears mate. You always, ok almost nearly always:D see hare images with ears bolt upright. Hare is proper alert,probably next move will be flight,depends of course,here it's because of the other kidlet and their interaction/s A chilled hare has ears down,loads in between much to learn ,but base things mate that you can try .

Gill they have weaved themselves into our folklore without me wafflin on forever trying to find the right words,if one spends time with then one knows why . Very few brit animals, have done this to such an extent and this one isn't even a native.
They have something tangilble, an intelligence??, and this wicked trickster rep I've seen first hand..................................... Mate a while back I met a kidlet ,got my first half decent piccy of a baby hare. I was stupidly excited;),this was massive to me, still is. So there's me walking down a track, staring at the back of the camera chimping me 'ead off is it sharp ,have I messed up ya know..:D My lady is waviing frantically at me from behind a gate,. I have a babyhare bouncing down the track behind me about 4 yards away almost baiting me!!

Bunnies don't do this mate hares do.

Deep they are kiddo not sentimentally so,they simply are. We hunt them buddy ,I guess eons ago they were brought to this country as a potential food source. Yet this guy the fastest we have,will come and have a look see of something strange It's difficult to put what I see and feel about this animal into words bro,just listen to Janny she nailed it :cool::)

Another beauty, but more than that Stu, because of the way you observe and photograph you bring out the character in these engaging creatures. She looks so intent, seemingly on you, but you know it's Taz she's focused on. I'd love to see her 'mugging' Taz. That does seem to be fairly common animal behaviour - bouncing the older animals. I guess for predators it's part of stalking play, for prey animals it might be just because it's fun.
Gil, go find yourself a hare. There really is something special about them. Even when you see them regularly you'll never tire of them. They are quite different to rabbits.

Janny ,hey mate how ya doin'??:) Lovely words Jan cheers for the kindness,they ARE very kind !

So much still to catch Jan and I am so concerned at this time about them, . We found little last weekend. I'm hoping it's hares being hares,but that gut feeling I rely on so much is tugging Jan,i'm proper worried frankly:(. I know at least nine to lurchers,but I'll need another eight weeks or so to really know,it ian't good right now though. Mind It ain't helping being out dawn till dark

Sorry mate, hey ho head up,I'm happy to be be wrong

I've never completed got the mugging,in this set I have little fella right behind Taz (totally OOF looking slightly shocked;)) and have other close calls,but never really got it. Bit like the boxing Jan:D I'm really good at doing the leg work and missing the chance by a milli second,i'm going to make it an art form lmao:D

I think it's fun, Jan but again good thoughts,I have wondered if they are sort of testing each other,almost teaching each other to be more aware. As your say predators play fight stalk,logically there is no reason to say the predated don't hone skills,maybe it's something along those lines?? I'll always love musing this stuff mate many thought really,scent is that a player is this to do with dominance. the social side is bigger than is really written on I suspect. Much to learn kiddo

many thanks
What a very good capture of this captivating animal- much enjoyed:clap:

Thanks for stopping by and the above kindness. Yes captivate they do,such a cracking subject for us ,to make images of .

thanks guys

stu

I really hope it's not. Illegal hare coursing (well, it's all illegal now but you know what I mean) is just the absolute pits. Not just the effects on the hares either - the total disregard for people, property, livestock etc.

The snow Jan right depth for dogs not for hares. Nine slaughtered and left in one field. Jan I bung all the obvious outrage at this, then I can cry because they were MY friends,but the little things the little side things that I'm finding as hard or harder. They had no chance,the odds completely scewed to the dogs so first up what ever one's view about dogs and hunting,there was no "sport" hare coursing isn't about catching them it's meant to be the chase,no chase no sport. they didn't even take them to eat .

They could have,hope I'm wrong,clobbered a real thriving little pop and try as I might I can't find one reason,even trying as I do to see the other point of view,there is just nothing ,no comprehension of why so many.

Old Bill, not interested landowner screaming. Very hard for a keeper facing what might be little more than a gang.deer gone aswell. Caught poachers locally told not to do it again, let go. i'm told over in norfolk they have confiscated dogs.

Jan let's hope I'm wrong and the damage is not as bad as I fear. We saw two ,probably a couple,somewhere slightly different to where we normally go same pop,but wow their markings. I couldn't access them sadly. I wasn't sure on this field. and who owned it But I so wish I could have got closer,just to see those markings,really white,where the pale oft lies on the face It looked different but even with the lens and biinos we couldn't really be sure what we were looking at, One had a very different body colour to the other but those markings,maybe the light I dunno??

. The trouble is they can move so far so quickly aprraising this situation isn't going to be easy. They haven't got them all mate I know that much,but they were never Norfolk's density,it's difficult you know where my heart is heading these next months.......... time will tell.
take care kiddo ,good to stop a mo and talk hares,even if this isn't the most pleasant. Jan I haven't told one soul where we go ,even my very best mates,no one. I felt they might be spared all this because the landowner adores them like me,plus the keeper is a fantastic man. It's a real wildlife haven mate barnies lo's kez kite buz sparrowhawks . Loads of framland birds they plant litle crops and help 'em along with food I feel for these two men Jan this place is not only their home but so much work goes into that habitat,unseen.

fingers crossed

Back