Critique Leveret

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
One from the weekend i'm seeing a fair few kidlets of late,this little guy was bouncing around like a mad thing full of the joys of life. Opted for landscape purely on the grounds he might do something silly on the way over to me. Bless he came even closer a few mins later,emerging from the veggies that surround the hedge RHS of the image. Sadly the light had just crashed,I'd have wished for more DOF but hey,it's kinda cool having baby hares come over to see what one is ,so mustn't grumble.

They are just so cute,I should really have tired of hares by now but they are like a drug to me.

1/1600 f5.6 iso 6400

_S2I7515 lev smj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers for looking

stu

Cheers for the likies and the comments widlife togging is mad huh hours and hours of nothing,and then i'm sat under the tail gate trying to have me dinner,a hare comes out of the woods,waches us a while and them comes close for a look see. I'm trying to have a quiet cuppa and get drawn into this little wretch.

Look I put all the gear on used all the FC cobblers, used time for the leveret but not the adult Often that amounts to nothing but then on this occassion......

In around 6 seconds the images I made like this............ sort of every step towards me loads of 'em ????? It really had me head scratching, and laughiing these tools are amazing !!

I'm not making the point that the image is other them what it is........................ what makes me smile:D is that so much happens in such a short space of time and always when least expected and yet in those seconds so much can be caught ha ha or missed.;)

and yet we try for how long for that sniff of a chance.

We are all bonkers.:LOL: why do we do this to ourselves??

Oh, disclaimer no dinner was misplaced on to my camera and no tea was spilled while making this or the previous image of a somewhat larger hare (read huge).

but it was bloody close:oops: :$ i'll try and get the big fella up at some stage what a contrast!!

cheers folks

stu

Awesome Stu, the way it goes sometimes, it was similar with my kingy, all those hours finding the perches then one hops into the viewfinder.

Love the POV on this, nailed it mate.

I almost ran one over returning from a recent dragonfly jaunt, out went the anchor as it did that which way do I go thing but I managed to squeeze by. It was huge.

Mr B..." magical" thanks for that buddy,pretty humbling for me for someone to say something like that about an image of mine. Although part of me knows it's that little ruffian that's magical and deserving not moi it's still very flattering !! there is a bit more though

It stuck me ,that word is exactly how I feel about these hares and the experiences they give me. The are magical : i'm a lucky guy to have these chances,grafted for or not, I really understand how damn fortunate, I am / we are. . Mr B my biggest sadness is I can't really share this for fear of endangering them. We have known about this spot for maybe 10 years maybe more. We have had permission for around 3, I think. In all that time not even my very best closest friends know where we go........ we haven't told a single soul, the second regret is I don't really get to share many of the images I take of them as i'm so slow processing and so busy earning a crust . It's sort of a shame as they are such wonderful animals and I really am so fortunate. I want to to share more than an image mate,you want every one to see a baby hare wonder up to them and have that experience it's just so fraught with danger for them

DD cheers,this one was silly cute they all are mate but the odd one stands out to me I know not why !!

Dale ,in all honestly I didn't think I had completely nailed this one,I guess i'm so harsh on me,i'm quite taken back by the comments i've had here and elsewhere. Thanks man!!

The POV i'm starting to become OCD on bro,it's not good:LOL: I'm deeply fascinated by the world viewed from a few inches high both from the point of view of what a hare sees and how to make images down there...how the nuances in the lie of the land veggies affect the final outcome. Slowly i'm getting my head around it.

Dale my biggest fear is running over a hare,it would so tare me up,glad you got around him bro and also,now you know where they might be so that's double :cool:.

It is ironic how we wait for yonks and then a camera capable of silly numbers of frames per second leaves one stone cold amazed when one gets home. I tried to be really harsh here and cull brutally but I don't know what to do cause pretty much every frame looked like this I'm still left with way too many .

Some times we get SOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky mate and sometimes ya just can't put what we feel at that moment in time into words.

Lovely init:D

and yes when up close an adult does seem huge. Dale sometimes I find it hard having the camera in front of my eyes,does that make sense I want to look up into those big ol eyes with mine

Thanks lads 'n' lasses, sorry for wafflin a bit these like to much in our country's nature bewilder me I've had a hard crap day it's friday it's over work is done !! I can play at images again SOON maybe i'll get to see this little chap again................I know it's patch they range a bit do this size baby hares it's not a given. to see anything........... but nail the patch down same with any beastie

ahh that's a big big step.:)

take care:)

Really liking this shot Stu, the low pov and it coming straight at you and sharp focus where it needs to be, the f/5.6 gives the little fella a nice shallow depth of field with decent bokeh too, I often like shooting my lens at f/4.0 or f/5.6 with the 1.4x iii on, a big thumbs up mate (y)

hey Mart how ya been:) too long no speak kiddo !! If I'm honest I was aching for more DOF more light. Not sure if this is the best, I got a hat full around it

Yup i also adore what this lens can do with the shallow DOF it's a hell of a tool isn't it !!

I really thought the DOF was too shallow in this case...... but seemingly every one else thinks it's cool :p

Did you have any joy with the roe kids mate?? They are big now it's amazing how they grow so fast. Back to the drawing board for me I made some piccies of a mum and twins two weeks or so back but she came(heard the shutter) they stayed back so no chance of any interaction images . I kinda hoped you had had more luck?? I've been incredibly lucky this year with roe. It's been incredibly special................. but the yearned for has sort of escaped me .

many thanks

hiya Stu no luck here either n getting a roe and fawn together but theire is always next near, probably try and concentrate on a few things, Roe/fawn, wild boar and more hares of which i have a couple of spots local to me. A trip to Spain in October this year looking for the Iberian Lynx as well as other stuff and I'm looking more into doing remote camera trapping which I've bit the bug with so fingers crossed that works out and the learning curve will be an experience in itself (y):)

Ahh sorry you have had no luck mate...............I got another mum and twins last night no light silly iso.shouldn't have tried really bar the fact that they were also accompanied by a buck,whom I know well and believe to be their dad...lovely to see a kidlet close up and personal with it's dad even though the pics are crap It's been special for me the Roe this year Martin,I know where this buck lives We call him the Dude. I think i've been snapping him now since around April/May time Ha if I wasn't such a moron I'd have had him bang to rights last night,massive underexposure......hey ho full frame point blank, range. He had his head in a hedge I all but bumped into him

Mate all the luck with Spain and those Lynx!! Cor what a treat :Ddo give me a shake if you get any joy I'd love to see what ya get buddy, I really would!!

Back