Life at the sea

Name
Mike Nguyen
Edit My Images
Yes
And I wandered again, on my old Russian motorbike that was made during the 60s - 80s. These days a bike like mine would lie deep & forgotten in an old garage, but he's simply a friend who has been with me for such a long time...

untitled%201%20of%201-9_zpsqenwrpjj.jpg

And this time I rode to the beach, 3 hours riding, going to bed early in order to catch the early rise the following day. And yes, I did. I was really lucky, I think:

IMG_6806_zpsy57l4hxm.jpg

Nam Dinh is a costal province, north of Vietnam. There's hardly anything like a resort at this beach yet, although a number of smaller hotels do exist. The local people are mostly fisherman, they rise from early morning to start their day.

IMG_6811_zpsm4utzmde.jpg

Every man is equipped with a kind of scoop made from 2 spikes of bamboo with a net in between. They scoop for little fish:

IMG_7864_zps3e7hcvto.jpg

Sometimes, they look like butterflies above the sea:

IMG_6290_zpsszmynlla.jpg

and here...a bit dreamy due to the high humidity of the air, or maybe just because I could not hold my lens still. But I love it anyway:

IMG_6321_zpsqvcqn1p2.jpg

Somewhere around the beach, other fishermen are busy pulling a huge net, which forms a semi circle confining fish inside, well, hopefully. But they do this on a daily basis:

IMG_7933_zps1sxwpeq9.jpg

When it gets brighter, small markets are formed by the beach, selling whatever fishermen have caught from early morning:

IMG_7910_zpst9j2cgnn.jpg

The church you're looking at was built from hundreds of years ago, so long that the sea was still far away. Due to erosion, the sea's invasion is now reaching the foot of the church.

.....to be continued...

Last edited:
IMG_7840_zpsiynv7zyj.jpg

and the church has been deserted since, but still, it provides shade and shelter for the fishermen in day time, and noon snooze.

A lot of fishermen make their living from salt, yes, they make salt by the sea, as natural as it is:

IMG_8110_zpsquxtvapc.jpg

I love the kind of mirror effect that the "salt field" provides. I mean it really is like a mirror...You dont need sunrise to take great photos here. And there's always a blue sky on a sunny day, either above or in the reflexion of water.

21656295485_68ec6db54a_k.jpg

the sun is already bright, it is time for breakfast. I will come back here in the afternoon and write more for you. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Brilliant set, love that church and well everything else! So lucky

Thanks for taking the time to give a brief intro to each image, I enjoyed viewing them, hope you had a good day taking the images.

A great set of shots and a lovely story more please :)

Hi Gromit99, thank you. This one more is for you: All the fishermen in their collective work of pulling fishing net and share whatever they catch inside:

IMG_6447-2_zps8d6zku4n.jpg

They're all wearing the traditional hat of Vietnam called "Non" (Or Conical Hat in English)

Last edited:
A wonderful set of photographs, a great photographic journey and that church looks amazing. Please keep sharing.

Back