— covered angles all good
but***​
On the minus side,
— unretouched speculars
— omitted inside
—*** the back wheel & trunk
and the lower front grills.
Cool colours and great shadow details!

Thanks. Yes the rear wheel and f boot frustrated me afterwards. The omission of the inside was deliberate as personally i dont like to see it. I have sone it in the past but ots just not for me (but thats just my personal taste).

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say 'unretouched speculars'. What do you mean exactly? Am i right in thinking the highlights in the bodywork from the lights?

Regards

Darren

The omission of the inside was deliberate as personally i dont like to see it
From the back seat and projected to the top, a third
power would have been enough to unblock the black
and give more dimension.
…when you say 'unretouched speculars'. What do you mean exactly? Am i right in thinking the highlights in the bodywork from the lights?
Yes, these are not part of your lighting work and don't
belong there.
Forgive my ignorance,
You are not the ignorant as I am the one having a hard
time with english most of the time.

It's a really good effort if you haven't done much before.

For me I'd like to have seen more light to the rear passenger quarter and also the drivers A pillar.

Perhaps look at lighting lower around the car too to pick out the wheels and lower detail.

Not a big fan of bright halos around the floor, perhaps tone that down however the back drops spot on.

Couple of tweaks and that would be a great image though, bright cars like that paint far better :)

Eye catching image but the passenger side looks like it has filler work done on the doors due to the gaps in the light. Overall a nice image and it looks like a bit of money spent on the car. Is it a Lux Prem Diesel?

I know we're not supposed to comment on the model but IMO it's a shame it's painted in French Racing Blue! Shame it's on 20" wheels as well - 19s make it a bit rumbly but 20s make it a harsh ride.

IMO, the specular highlights improve the shot, giving a hint as to the contours of the bodywork where they strike. I'm guessing that the interior is in black leather as part of the Black Pack, so lighting the interior wouldn't show much anyway.

Thanks for the comments guys. After looking at the image again, I have found that the specular highlights are not actually from the lighting. They are in fact from a small row of old windows, just out of shot above the car (took me a while to figure it out lol). For that reason, and the reason mentioned above by 'Nod' I will be leaving them in.

Im in the process of putting a bit more light to the rear of the car to balance it a little, however as there is very little light there, other than reshoot, there is not too much I can do. However, see my work in progress below.

As the wheels, front splitter etc were such a dark black, that's why I chose the halo around the base, so this was deliberate in this case, although not something I would normally favor.

As said, I have not done a huge amount of light painting (infact, very little) as I normally work with flash. And on the few times I have in the past, I have had someone else (more experienced than me) do the painting, and I do the shooting. In this instance, I did both.

I will take all the comments on board as ive planned another shoot in the next week or so. This time with a 60's split screen camper in freshly painted Audi grey (that should be a joy to light..... not).

Anway, heres an updated edit with a tad more light on the rear. Still far from perfect and work in progress though.

Cheers

Jaguar XF Sport- Update by Darren Fitzjohn, on Flickr

It's a great start, something I'm yet to try.

The few things I can pick up on;

Air fresher? hanging from the rear view mirror. I would have removed that before I start taking the photos, it's just a pet peeve of mine.
There's a little bit of ghosting of the left of frame. Looks like the light may have caught you.

Something about the shadow under the from bumper, I can't seem to put my finger on what it is though.

I've shot one of these but never light painted, personally the 'French Racing Blue' is my favourite car colour of the moment.

Have to agree with what has been said above, the highlights don't add anything to the image, without the images casting the light in the image it just looks messy. Headlights are a pain to try and remove all light streaks.

More light on the rear and more on the face of the rear wheel and less on the tire, it'd be a cracking image.

All in all a good effort :)

First impression is that this is a very striking image, so well done. Car position/angle is great, colour has really helped it pop too.

Under a bit more scrutiny there's plenty to clean up in post - highlights, reflections, air freshener, yellow back tyre. But agreed, great effort. With a bit more editing work this could be spectacular, all the ingredients are there for me.

Thanks for the comments again guys. I will give the post a bit more work. Alternativeley, I may look to reshoot at some point taking some of the comments on board.

Lighting wise, I used an Edison 30 LED rechargable lamp. Not the best but seemed to do the job.

Back