Light Painting (First go) And a Star Trail

Name
Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
[url=https://flic.kr/p/zo9N7u]Light Orb by thomasprovis, on Flickr[/URL][url=https://flic.kr/p/zo9HCQ]Light Wand by thomasprovis, on Flickr[/URL][url=https://flic.kr/p/zpdvPi]Chesterton Windmill Star Trail by thomasprovis, on Flickr[/URL]

As it says, 2 Light Paintings And a Start rail.

All 3 done up by the Chesterton Windmill.

The 2 Light Paintings are my first real go at light paintings.
The first one was done with a V24 Light Stick Spun in an Orb Shape.
The second was done with a cheap light umbrella off eBay, Spun whilst walking down the road next to the Windmill. (Both the same road)
And the Star Trail was done looking up the hill towards the windmill. 105 photos in total, and stacked din starstax.

Hope you enjoy, Looking for ways to I'm prove as this Is my first go at Light painting, So please comment if you think something could be improved :)

Thomas

For first attempt they are fantastic! I'm entrigued as to how the first two were down

I'm entrigued as to how the first two were done

Though I know how it was done, this awareness takes nothing away of the magic
in these. Very good stuff!

Good stuff kiddo. Was a good night with @MWHCVT on hand spinning the V24. Do it again sometime:)

Two of each for me on phone - probably OK on computer

Very clever use of a nifty bit of kit.
Often unpredictable, but that's the fun of it.
Nice bright colours

Very good, great sense of rhythm from you or whoever was moving the lights

very clever! Love them! 3rd is ethereal!

These have all come out really well Thomas, glad that you had a good evening out was great to meet you...we will certainly have to do it again soon (y)
Thanks Matt, :), great to meet you too. Will certainly have to do it again, as I want another go with your pixel stick :p

Thanks Matt, :), great to meet you too. Will certainly have to do it again, as I want another go with your pixel stick :p

Hey that works for me (y) will have to create some images

Those two light painting shots are really great. Always seems like something that's difficult to execute in practice.

Those two light painting shots are really great. Always seems like something that's difficult to execute in practice.
Thanks, to be honest. Its just a long exposure taking a picture of a light stick being waved around. That's all there is to it. Simpler that I thought too :p

Thanks, to be honest. Its just a long exposure taking a picture of a light stick being waved around. That's all there is to it. Simpler that I thought too :p

That's my point, always seems so simple, but how do you stand in front of the camera, during the exposure, and know how it's going to look and know precisely how and where to move the lights? Perhaps I've been overthinking this all this time and it's more about experimentation and just rolling with whatever the results look like. Your pictures look like you deliberately structured the light though.

Excellent stuff Thomas (y)

I'm impressed with the results from the light umbrella, could I be cheeky and ask if you have a link, cheers :)

That's my point, always seems so simple, but how do you stand in front of the camera, during the exposure, and know how it's going to look and know precisely how and where to move the lights? Perhaps I've been overthinking this all this time and it's more about experimentation and just rolling with whatever the results look like. Your pictures look like you deliberately structured the light though.
I had help from @MWHCVT, he spun the Orb whilst I was the idiot behind the camera :D. I could try and explain as much as I can if it would help you atall?

Last edited:
I had help from @MWHCVT, he spun the Orb whilst I was the idiot behind the camera :D. I could try and explain as much as I can if it would help you atall?

Well whatever you did it worked, the pics are good. The only thing I'd say is perhaps having a bit more ambient would give a little more context to where you are and what's going on, either that or go completely black (like the second one) to get something a bit more abstract. Good job.

Back