Lightning over Kuala Lumpur

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
I shot this picture back in 2011 and have always shown it in B&W. Anyway one of the members on here saw this picture on my website HERE and wondered what it would look like in colour. So here it is in colour and looking at it now 9 years on I actually prefer it now in colour............funny how things change as we get older.
The story behind this shot was I was sat in my condominium watching the Open Golf tournament when I looked out of my living room window and could see the sky getting very dark, all of a sudden there was a loud crack and lightning over the city. I jumped up and grabbed my D7000 and tripod and went out onto the balcony to my wife's horror. She's shouting at me to come inside so as we do I came back inside after getting the camera set up with composition and the remote release. I came back in and continued watching the golf pressing the remote release every 30 seconds or when ever I heard a bang. After the storm passed I downloaded the pictures and to my delight I had the picture below plus one more with a small bolt of lightning..............thats how I got the Lightning Over Kuala Lumpur picture.
Neil
Lightning_over_KL_15072011_0001.jpg

Very impressive shot. BW or colour I suppose is a personal choice here, both very valid.

Personally I would cool down the WB a little and shift it towards magenta. Lightining gives it a very strong magenta cast so you may as well have it.

I always loved the amount of lightning you got in Malaysia - at some times of the year it was an almost nightly occurrence.

Good shot!

I particularly like it because I lived and worked in KL 2016-17 and can see 'my' apartment and office buildings in your picture!

I have many fond memories of a great city full of wonderful, friendly people....and some tremendous food!

Back