Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
With my JPGs, when I right click and go to edit in Photoshop:
editjpg.PNG

I get this window:
editjpg2.PNG

But when I do the same for Raw files, it's not bringing up the dialog, it's just opening up the Raw with some but not all the edits. I don't recall it acting like this before? What setting have I buggered up?

Last edited:
Isn't that normal.....

As in PS is offering you logical choice for 'handling' your jpeg files. Whereas when opening a raw file it opens in Adobe Camera Raw.

This on the basis that depending on what you decide to do with jpegs you risk(?) destructive editing!

It doesn't open in camera raw, it just opens in Photoshop with half the edits missing, looking nothing like it did in Lightroom. I want the dialog box back!

It doesn't open in camera raw, it just opens in Photoshop with half the edits missing, looking nothing like it did in Lightroom. I want the dialog box back!
Ah! sorry if I misunderstood................hopefully those 'in the know' will be along soon :thinking:

Ah! sorry if I misunderstood................hopefully those 'in the know' will be along soon :thinking:

It's OK, I don't think I was clear enough. It behaves "correctly" when exporting to Paint Shop Pro, and when using Jpegs, but trying to open a raw in Photoshop doesn't ask me about my edits, it just goes ahead and opens. I'm not even sure if I've just imagined it since it was November when I last tried to do this!

I have just tried , edit a Fuji raw file (.RAF) in LR with some rather dramatic edits , then edit in PS, no dialog box but the edits still seem to be there.

View attachment 318397

I get this window:
View attachment 318398

But when I do the same for Raw files, it's not bringing up the dialog, it's just opening up the Raw with some but not all the edits. I don't recall it acting like this before? What setting have I buggered up?
That is exactly how it is supposed to work. You have THREE options to choose from. Select the option that is relevant to what you want to do.

I have just tried , edit a Fuji raw file (.RAF) in LR with some rather dramatic edits , then edit in PS, no dialog box but the edits still seem to be there.

Can you do me a favour and just convert one of those to Black and white then try for me?

There is a bug where certain colour profiles are not being read by photoshop so if you are using some 3rd party profiles as part of your edit it may be these that are missing.
If I remember correctly, the work around is to write the changes to xml file before sending to PS.

you will only get the three options if you edit a pixel based image ie. jog, tif etc. You do not get the options when sending a raw file.

Last edited:
View attachment 318397

I get this window:
View attachment 318398

So, if the problem is that some of the Lr edits are missing when the RAW image opens in Ps, would it not have made more sense to post screen shots showing the difference, rather then a screen shot of the dialogue box that you get when you send a jpeg/tiff image to Ps.

There's no dialogue box when a raw file is sent to Photoshop (ctrl+E on a PC). At least here, with PS CS5 and LR6, LR prepares a tiff from the edited raw and opens it in PS, where it appears as it did in LR at the time of export ie with all LR adjustments to its appearance, including any mono conversion. PS is a pixel editor and can't itself operate on raw files, but only import them via the Camera Raw plug-in, which would be superfluous in the present circumstance.

If the file is saved directly from PS it'll appear back in LR as a tiff with the word 'edit' appended to its name, and will show the PS edits baked in. It'll also be added to the catalogue.

Last edited:
Alan can you bypass your current apparent problem by first exporting as a tif (or jpg) within LR (ctrl+shift+E), before sending to edit in PS? Nothing to lose by doing that, if it works.

Doesn't it have to be changed in the preference dialogue in LR, so that JPEG are treated the same, or differently to RAW

Can you do me a favour and just convert one of those to Black and white then try for me?

As Requested

p2477235403-4.jpg
p2477235361-4.jpg
p2477235367-4.jpg

1) Fuji .RAF file exported from LR as .jpg no edits

2) As above, contrast boost and BW conversion in LR , exported from LR as .jpg

3) As Edited in LR as (2) then exported from LR to PS via "edit in" no dialog box popped up then saved as .jpg from PS. Not exported via LR hence no copyright logo
Hope this helps

Regards

Alan when you sent your file from LR to PS, was its final state in LR's history panel selected - ie you hadn't reverted by accident?

I recall that I had something similar a few years ago. The same three choices were offered when opening a Raw file in PS, but only at the time my ACR was at a different level to LR Raw. The dialog box showed a tick box (don't show this again). I unintentionally ticked this so was not offered the choice again and thus LR edits were not passed across. The solution was to go to LR Preferences>General and at the bottom is an option to "Reset all Warning Dialogs" . It might be worth a try.

Dave

I recall that I had something similar a few years ago. The same three choices were offered when opening a Raw file in PS, but only at the time my ACR was at a different level to LR Raw. The dialog box showed a tick box (don't show this again). I unintentionally ticked this so was not offered the choice again and thus LR edits were not passed across. The solution was to go to LR Preferences>General and at the bottom is an option to "Reset all Warning Dialogs" . It might be worth a try.

Dave

I've seen this offered as a solution before, but in this case both LR and PS are clean installs, and the box is greyed out. LR ACR = 10.1 and PS ACR=10.5. I can only surmise that before the new hard drive and fresh install I had an even older ACR in PS. Wondering fi I can get it back. I have the old HDD, is there any way of finding out what ACR is installed from reading a file in there?

Alan when you sent your file from LR to PS, was its final state in LR's history panel selected - ie you hadn't reverted by accident?

Yes it was, I want to use a PS action to apply border and watermark as a last step following editing in LR, so I don't need Photoshop to open a Raw file at all, I'd rather it just opened a Tiff, I.e. the "Edit a Copy with Lightroom edits" option from the dialog box.

As Requested

p2477235403-4.jpg
p2477235361-4.jpg
p2477235367-4.jpg

1) Fuji .RAF file exported from LR as .jpg no edits

2) As above, contrast boost and BW conversion in LR , exported from LR as .jpg

3) As Edited in LR as (2) then exported from LR to PS via "edit in" no dialog box popped up then saved as .jpg from PS. Not exported via LR hence no copyright logo
Hope this helps

Regards
Did it show up OK in B&W in PS? As mine is completely ignoring that treatment, and seemingly the contrast curves.

There's no dialogue box when a raw file is sent to Photoshop (ctrl+E on a PC). At least here, with PS CS5 and LR6, LR prepares a tiff from the edited raw and opens it in PS, where it appears as it did in LR at the time of export ie with all LR adjustments to its appearance, including any mono conversion. PS is a pixel editor and can't itself operate on raw files, but only import them via the Camera Raw plug-in, which would be superfluous in the present circumstance.

If the file is saved directly from PS it'll appear back in LR as a tiff with the word 'edit' appended to its name, and will show the PS edits baked in. It'll also be added to the catalogue.

All this I know, I don't want PS to open a Rawfile at all, I want it to open the Tiff intermediate file, but it isn't doing, it's opening the Rawfile and saving the result of whatever it does as an intermediate tiff.

So, if the problem is that some of the Lr edits are missing when the RAW image opens in Ps, would it not have made more sense to post screen shots showing the difference, rather then a screen shot of the dialogue box that you get when you send a jpeg/tiff image to Ps.
The picture is irrelevant, it's the dialog box that concerns me, I.E. I want it for Raw Files.

OK - I have 2 possible workarounds. I've set up an Export preset that exports a Full Sized 16 Bit Tiff, imports it into the catalogue, stacks it and Opens it is PS. Issue with that is it's in the Export menu, not the Edit in Menu.

WOrkaround 2 is I Edit in PSP X3 which does give the dialog box for Raws, immediately close it, and then Edit the new Tiff in PS whereupon I get the dialog box (when I don't need it!).

Neither is exactly great. I wonder if I can write an app that I can use as a passthrough for the Edit in, so I specify that ap but all it does is pass the file on to Photoshop? Hmmm. Might have a word with work's IT Guy Monday.

Originally you said:
But when I do the same for Raw files, it's not bringing up the dialog, it's just opening up the Raw with some but not all the edits.
And just now you said:
All this I know, I don't want PS to open a Rawfile at all ...
Forgive us if we get confused ... :confused:

Originally you said:
And just now you said:
Forgive us if we get confused ... :confused:

To clarify - I want it to do what it claims to do, IE, make a copy of the RAW as 16bit TIFF and open that in PS. But it doesn't, it opens the Raw in PS which tries to mimic the edits already applied (but fails), then whatever edits are made in PS Saves that as TIFF and imports that into LR. I want all the Rawfile edits to stay in LR.

For any software issues, you should state what your versions are ...
Are you on CC?

To clarify - I want it to do what it claims to do, IE, make a copy of the RAW as 16bit TIFF and open that in PS. But it doesn't, it opens the Raw in PS which tries to mimic the edits already applied (but fails), then whatever edits are made in PS Saves that as TIFF and imports that into LR. I want all the Rawfile edits to stay in LR.
So are you saying that the RAW image is opening in ACR, if not then the image is a TIFF file.

This might be relevant
Lightroom “Edit In” Photoshop – Bryson Leidich (wordpress.com)
Para 3

If you “Edit In” PS when you open an original raw file you get no additional dialog box. LR adjustments to raw are just applied to the file as they would be from ACR. Saved files are new and the original raw remains. But, when you open a psd, tif or jpg file, including layered psd or tif files you have produced by previous editing, you get a selection box on how to handle the file.

For any software issues, you should state what your versions are ...
Are you on CC?

LR 6, PS2019

So are you saying that the RAW image is opening in ACR, if not then the image is a TIFF file.

Yes, it opens the Raw image in PS, LR does not make a Tiff image to send to PS, PS makes the Tiff to go back to Lightroom.
This might be relevant
Lightroom “Edit In” Photoshop – Bryson Leidich (wordpress.com)
Para 3

If you “Edit In” PS when you open an original raw file you get no additional dialog box. LR adjustments to raw are just applied to the file as they would be from ACR. Saved files are new and the original raw remains. But, when you open a psd, tif or jpg file, including layered psd or tif files you have produced by previous editing, you get a selection box on how to handle the file.

Yes, but that's not what was happening last year with the same software!

Has anyone got Camera Raw Pre 10.1 they can send me? 10.5 is the oldest I can get from Adobe which is still newer than the 10.1 in LR.

It is odd. I do not use "Edit In" as there is no need. I set the LR preferences>External Editing to choose the current version of PS and set to TIFF 16 bit and Adobe RGB. All I need to do is to select the image in the catalogue and Crtl+E. This causes LR to render a 16 bit TIFF file using the LR editing and then open that TIFF file in PS. This has always worked from the earliest version right up to the current versions. The only time I had any issues were when the version of Raw in LR was different to that in ACR.

Dave

Last edited:
The only time I had any issues were when the version of Raw in LR was different to that in ACR.
!!!
Has anyone got Camera Raw Pre 10.1 they can send me? 10.5 is the oldest I can get from Adobe which is still newer than the 10.1 in LR.
There's a danger that even if you managed to install a version of Camera Raw earlier than your version of PS, it might subsequently auto-update and you'd be back where you started.

I think that my strategy, if you wanted different image versions, would be to create a virtual copy in LR - process that in LR as required, export within LR as tiff, and edit that tif further in PS as required.

Last edited:
but the file extension does not change to TIFF until you save the image.
This might depend on the version of PS, if not the relative versions of PS / LR ... here, what had been the raw in LR opens directly as a tif with that extension in PS. The tif preparation occurs in LR along with a progress bar top left.

This might depend on the version of PS, if not the relative versions of PS / LR ... here, what had been the raw in LR opens directly as a tif with that extension in PS. The tif preparation occurs in LR along with a progress bar top left.

That's what happens here too if I open in any program except PS, but PS just opens the Raw and does it's own conversion, as shown above.

Lightroom and PS clearly communicate whether or not the raw format is supported in PS, an if it is, will open the Raw. I work with quite "old" cameras so I'm going to need a very old Camera Raw version to stop it happening. (Sony A7R, Fujifilm X-T1, X-E1 and X-T2)
First of all, the image that has opened in Photoshop is in fact a TIFF file, but the file extension does not change to TIFF until you save the image.

Secondly, do you have the same problem when you send a colour image, that you have edited in Lightroom, to Photoshop?

No it didn't.

With colour, Yes - but it's much less noticeable. Very subtle changes like sharpening and noise reduction being applied differently.

!!!

There's a danger that even if you managed to install a version of Camera Raw earlier than your version of PS, it might subsequently auto-update and you'd be back where you started.

I think that my strategy, if you wanted different image versions, would be to create a virtual copy in LR - process that in LR as required, export within LR as tiff, and edit that tif further in PS as required.

It won't auto update here. And yes, that's the workaround I've set up.

Last edited:
The normal process is for LR to render the file into your chosen bit map format (16 bit TIFF) for me before it opens in PS. You can see the TIFF file inserted in the catalogues just as PS opens. So when you Save in PS it saves back to this same location. Although, I use the latest Adobe S/W myself, I just tried an older version LR 5.7 and PS 2019 and it worked just the same. I presume that you would not get support from Adobe as you have old versions but you might find some help on the Adobe forums.

Dave

LR 6, PS2019

Yes, it opens the Raw image in PS, LR does not make a Tiff image to send to PS, PS makes the Tiff to go back to Lightroom.
In the example dialog you posted you have the "Edit original" button checked.
Lightroom will only generate a TIFF copy, and send that to PS, if you check the "Edit copy with adjustments applied" button checked.

Right some progress! Went to work today and asked Keiran our resident retoucher t have a go - in CC he got a Dialog box for a Fuji Raw. That was with PS 2021 and ACR 13.2. So as I have nothing to lose I have just upgraded to ACR 13.2 here, and whilst I don't get a dialog box, PS now opens the raw and applies the LR edits correctly! This I can work with, so I'm happy today!

You are wrong here. Things changed. in recent version of LR.

Previously you would see LR create a TIF file and then open that in PS. Now it looks like you are opening the raw file directly into PS but in reality you are not, it's just that the conversion is all done behind the scenes. Whilst PS says that the file opened is a raw format, in reality it is not. It's a TIF file.

When you "edit in" from a raw file any edits that you have done in LR will be baked into the file opened in PS, that's how it's always worked. The only time you will be given the three options is when you try to edit a TIF, PSD or JPG file.

As I mentioned previously the reason that you say SOME edits are not being transferred is probably due to the known bug with profiles. Your edits are being sent over but the profile is not.

Back