Lightroom - 1:1 Previews.....

Edit My Images
Yes
When I import I build 1:1 preview to help me filter through and weed out and the best images.

The previews are discarded after a week to save disk space.

However recently, after building and receiving confirmation of the build the images are still taking a couple of seconds to snap into focus when you zoom in.

This tells that me that the 1:1 previews have not been built?

I always run Lightroom on its own when filtering to make sure all the availabe processor speed and RAM is available.

I am currently experiencing this with a folder full of 7,000 images from the last event.

This is really slowing things down and not sure if just due to the heat or volume of images.

I know some people prefer photo mechanic for weeding out before a lightroom import but I havent looked into that method yet.

Any ideas?

Faststone Image Viewer is very fast, free and useful for culling images.
On1's browser (previously called perfect browse) is also very quick and supports Lightroom star ratings, colours and so on - but was a bit buggy last time I used it.
PhotoMechanic is very fast, too, but expensive unless you use its other features.

I get the same. I've got a 30 day lifespan on mine.

It's literally a couple of seconds for me so I'm not bothered. I do wonder whether it builds a fresh preview sometimes in Loupe view because I rarely see the issue in Grid, or more importantly Survey mode which is where I do most of my culling. I generally only get the delay when jumping over to Develop and there's a setting "Use Smart Previews for Develop instead of Originals for image editing" which I have unchecked - resulting in (what I presume is) a rebuild of the preview on going into Develop. It's not enough of an issue to cause me to switch. Do you cull in Survey mode or step through in Loupe? What's your screen resolution (I've seen performance degradation moving from 2560 to 3840 resolution) and are your GPU drivers up to date (or been updated recently)?

I do feel like Lightroom performance has been a bit all-over-the-place recently. I do wish there was a competitor that worried them enough to deliver a better service.

Is the delayed load happening in all modules? 1:1 previews are only used in the library module and not in the develop module.

Yes - its delayed in all modules, including Library/grid mode.

I have heard mixed reviews about using smart previews for editing, lightroom does say quality is reduced on screen, but not on final output. Has anyone experienced any real world issues with quality when editing? Tempted to do this but sometimes I need to crop heavy so try and maintain as best quality as possible.

Faststone Image Viewer is very fast, free and useful for culling images.

Will definitely look into this - thanks :)

Yes - its delayed in all modules, including Library/grid mode.

I have heard mixed reviews about using smart previews for editing, lightroom does say quality is reduced on screen, but not on final output. Has anyone experienced any real world issues with quality when editing? Tempted to do this but sometimes I need to crop heavy so try and maintain as best quality as possible.

Will definitely look into this - thanks :)
You'll need to turn on image tagging (in one of the menus) for it to be useful.

Back