Lightroom 5 Raw Format

Edit My Images
No
I've been asked to supply some photos in the RAW format but I would like to alter some of them first, ie crop them exposure etc. I have taken the photos in RAW and J peg on my Canon camera, imported into Lightroom 5 and they have come in as CR2's. If I alter the images in Lightroom and export them to a folder as a DNG file and then as a Jpeg will the changes I have made be carried over with the images to the new folder I have set up? If I change the image format setting to DNG in Lightroom there are 3 options which appear, Embed Fast Load Data, Use Lossy Compression and Embed Original Raw File. Could someone explain what they are for. The reason for all this is that the person in the photo shoot wants to send them abroad were they will be used for a web page or similar and the photographer there may want to change them again, hence the RAW file format.

I've been asked to supply some photos in the RAW format but I would like to alter some of them first, ie crop them exposure etc. I have taken the photos in RAW and J peg on my Canon camera, imported into Lightroom 5 and they have come in as CR2's. If I alter the images in Lightroom and export them to a folder as a DNG file and then as a Jpeg will the changes I have made be carried over with the images to the new folder I have set up? If I change the image format setting to DNG in Lightroom there are 3 options which appear, Embed Fast Load Data, Use Lossy Compression and Embed Original Raw File. Could someone explain what they are for. The reason for all this is that the person in the photo shoot wants to send them abroad were they will be used for a web page or similar and the photographer there may want to change them again, hence the RAW file format.

Raw is raw and in the case of LR & PS all you are doing is creating the recipe for making the output image the raw is unaffected!

AFAIK even converting to dng you are not able to as mentioned crop the image. Perhaps a good idea to confirm just what the end user wants as I have read on more than one occasion they do not want or need the a copy of the original raw where say a 16 bit TIFF is suitable for them.

When you say you have been asked to supply raw, is this a business arrangement and are they are asking buy the copyright? Because bear in mind that giving them the raw file is like giving up your rights as a photographer as being the person who has this primary creative control over the images.

Your contractual relationship with the client and the agreement about the shoot should inform your decision.

There are folk here at TP with greater & more insight than me but do post with some more detailed background so that any pointers are in the right direction;)

Thanks Box Brownie. Its not really a business contract that I have more a favour to the woman who wants the photos for a web page, blog or something like that. Perhaps she will just have to put up with Tiff files because she can still alter them to a degree I think in PS.

Sending the files as DNG is is a lossless RAW format so you could do that. It will have all the adjustments you have made to the image then recompiled into the DNG format. Assuming you are happy to send these images I'd opt for either output options 1 or 2 or both. Adding the original RAW file make the output larger still and serves no real purpose. This way they get to see the image as you envisioned it not as it was shot. So at least your creativity will be seen.

I've been asked to supply some photos in the RAW format but I would like to alter some of them first, ie crop them exposure etc. I have taken the photos in RAW
If you alter the files they will no longer be raw files. Raw is raw as said above and is not a format, but is the raw data from the camera sensor. It needs processing to be able to be displayed. If you consider your shots aren't up to your standards and need editing, then you should keep control of the images by editing and converting to TIFF.
The recipient will be able to edit TIFFs but uncompressed TIFFs are very large and difficult for normal emailing. If it was me, I'd send them sample jpegs and ask for their comments. The web site will require jpegs anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back