Lightroom 6 speed

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Started to construct a "master" catalogue in Lightroom to organize my images in a easier to find way. Message this morning: Catalogue is corrupt - couldn't fix it. I still have all the originals (75,000 plus) in folders. It got me thinking, all the files with running races that I've covered, are in folders and labelled correctly. I don't really need them in a catalogue until someone asks for an image from the "Ward Green 6 mile race 2015" The only ones I want there all the time are my holidays and local shots.

Question: Does Lightroom "run" any quicker if there are fewer images in its catalogue? Or would an improvement occur at the start when I open it up?

As I understand it, for Lightroom to use an image you first need to import it which will put it into your default catalogue unless you specify another catalogue. I don't think you will be able to do any thing in Lightroom to an image that is not in a catalogue.

You aught to be backing up your catalogue as well as your images - Lightroom will do this automatically when you close Lightroom if you ask it nicely.

Last edited:
I certainly have more than 10,000 pictures in my Lightroom catalogue with no problems.

Back