Lightroom CC & GTX 970 - Anyone use?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
It's a long shot I know, but I'm using a GTX970 with the latest LR CC and am getting graphical glitches in Develop since I upgraded my to the 372.54 drivers.

When everything works, I tend to never upgrade drivers with the 'if-it-aint-broke' adage. However I was getting gaming problems so upgraded.

Is anyone using this setup (GTX 970 with LRCC) without issue, and if so, could you let me know which drivers you're using so I can try to roll back?
Thanks in hopeful advance!

I heard via IRC the other day that Adobe had dropped CUDA support for the 970 for unspecified reasons. Performance on my system (i7 4ghz, 32gb RAM, SSD, 970GTX) is appallingly s***. I use 5.7 for most work, as CC is just crushingly slow in every task.

I did read an article that said running without GPU acceleration could be better on higher end systems. Also running an i7-6700 4GHz here but only with 16Gb RAM. Time to see how it runs without acceleration.... Or maybe speak to the better half about a GPU Upgrade. I'm sure if I tell her she'll look younger in my photos I'll get the nod!

Thanks for the replies.

It's a long shot I know, but I'm using a GTX970 with the latest LR CC and am getting graphical glitches in Develop since I upgraded my to the 372.54 drivers.

When everything works, I tend to never upgrade drivers with the 'if-it-aint-broke' adage. However I was getting gaming problems so upgraded.

Is anyone using this setup (GTX 970 with LRCC) without issue, and if so, could you let me know which drivers you're using so I can try to roll back?
Thanks in hopeful advance!

I am using Lightroom 6.6 with a 970. Performance seems fine. (My C: drive is an SSD. I see that "Limit video cache size" is ticked, with a maximum size of 3.0 GB. Don't know if that is relevant.)

Lightroom version: 6.6 [ 1078672 ]
License: Perpetual
Operating system: Windows 7
Version: 6.1
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.4 GHz
Built-in memory: 16346.3 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16346.3 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 695.5 MB (4.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 680.3 MB
Memory cache size: 77.2 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 344.48
Renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Last edited:
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 344.48

That's brill. Good to know that older drivers work, though going back to 344s will probably break my games. I'll try without GPU Acceleration for a week or two and see if it makes a difference. At least then I can have my cake & eat it.

That's brill. Good to know that older drivers work, though going back to 344s will probably break my games. I'll try without GPU Acceleration for a week or two and see if it makes a difference. At least then I can have my cake & eat it.

Looks like it is a good thing I have been declining the offer of driver updates. (And might also explain why a game I bought a couple of days ago wouldn't run!)

Could you run Lightroom in a virtual machine that uses old drivers? (For example, VMware Workstation Player is still free for personal use.)

If you ever solve it, do let me know, the lag on the brushes and rotate tool ruler is unbearable.

Well I just rolled back to my previous 368.81 drivers and LR is fine (4600 photos in the cat, everything on SSD apart from the raws). "Fine" meaning slight (i.e. acceptable to me) lag with the brushes. Turning off acceleration improves this by a bit. Now I can't play XCOM2 or War Thunder though and that is not acceptable!

Looks like it is a good thing I have been declining the offer of driver updates. (And might also explain why a game I bought a couple of days ago wouldn't run!)

Could you run Lightroom in a virtual machine that uses old drivers? (For example, VMware Workstation Player is still free for personal use.)

Running it in a VM would bring levels of slowness that would make me cry I think. I'll probably put the latest drivers back and run without GPU acceleration because - to be honest - I'm getting better performance without it.

Edit to add a link to archive drivers... http://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta Not archive enough to go back to the 344s though! You can roll back GPU drivers (I found out) in Device Manager - double click on the GPU and "roll back" to your previous settings.

Last edited:
Back