Lightroom Classic Develop Mode Noise?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've never noticed this until now, however when I take my RAW images into Lightroom Classic, the Library mode preview of the images has minimal noise, but as soon as I go into Develop mode, the image has a lot of

Library Mode:
FGguiEl.jpg

Develop Mode:
ByAljkR.jpg

Is there a way to add the noise reduction into the develop mode? Obviously the image without noise reduction is a lot sharper, but there are some circumstances whereby the noise is just too much and needs reducing like in the preview (skin etc)

Last edited:
I use LR6 and cannot say that I have noticed this.......but I use library view to cull & keyword etc.

Thinks ~ in library, assuming we are talking raw, it is likely it is displaying the embedded jpeg but once taken into develop module it is displaying the raw file.

The embedded jpeg is 'seen' with the in camera processing applied!?

I've never noticed this until now, however when I take my RAW images into Lightroom Classic, the Library mode preview of the images has minimal noise, but as soon as I go into Develop mode, the image has a lot of

Library Mode:
FGguiEl.jpg

Develop Mode:
ByAljkR.jpg

Is there a way to add the noise reduction into the develop mode? Obviously the image without noise reduction is a lot sharper, but there are some circumstances whereby the noise is just too much and needs reducing like in the preview (skin etc)
The 2nd image looks sharpened so that may be why there's more noise

I use LR6 and cannot say that I have noticed this.......but I use library view to cull & keyword etc.

Thinks ~ in library, assuming we are talking raw, it is likely it is displaying the embedded jpeg but once taken into develop module it is displaying the raw file.

The embedded jpeg is 'seen' with the in camera processing applied!?

I've only imported the CR3 files, although the thumbnails say they're an "Embedded Preview."
What I don't understand though is how would any in camera processing be applied. RAW is RAW, so it must be something in LR, unless its just compressed for the preview so much that the noise detail is lost in the reduced quality

The 2nd image looks sharpened so that may be why there's more noise

No sharpening added. This is straight from the camera with no post processing applied

Is the sharpening definitely at 0? Lightroom defaults to 25 as standard :)

Is the sharpening definitely at 0? Lightroom defaults to 25 as standard :)

Well crap, I did not realise this!
How do you override the defaults so it doesn't add this to every photo. It's defaulting to 40 for me :/

New LR adds 40 sharpening because all raw files require a bit of sharpening.

Whilst you are shooting in raw there is still an embedded .jpg file. That's also what is used to display the image on the back of your camera.
I wouldn't remove the sharpening, just add a little noise reduction or mask the sharpening to exclude the background.

Well crap, I did not realise this!
How do you override the defaults so it doesn't add this to every photo. It's defaulting to 40 for me :/

Possibly by just setting/creating an 'Import' preset with a setting of '0' ??

You might want to consider looking at the noise reduction 'detail' and 'contrast' settings default. This will impact on the noise/sharpening issue

Could it be as simple as LR using a smaller generated preview in Library mode to speed up loading/viewing ect ??

I've only imported the CR3 files, although the thumbnails say they're an "Embedded Preview."

The embedded preview is a small JPEG sidecar file attached to the RAW by your camera. This is the image you see on your camera's LCD when you check your images, and it's also what Lightroom uses in the library module. On my EOS 80D this embedded jpeg is a 1920 x 1280 resolution file. This small jpeg will have your camera's processing applied and, as you can see from the two samples you have posted, a lot less detail than the RAW. In the develop module, Lightroom uses the actual RAW file, so you'll see more detail but also more noise.

Back