Lightroom - Getting duplicates on import

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Importing images to Lightroom, I'm starting to get seemingly random duplicates of some files. Sometimes it's everything so I get two copies of every jpg and every raw. Sometimes it's just the odd file in an import. I can't really see a pattern to it. Any one seen this themselves? The duplicate version will have same file name but a '-2' suffix after it.

In case it's of use, I use an imac and import via card reader.

Importing images to Lightroom, I'm starting to get seemingly random duplicates of some files. Sometimes it's everything so I get two copies of every jpg and every raw. Sometimes it's just the odd file in an import. I can't really see a pattern to it. Any one seen this themselves? The duplicate version will have same file name but a '-2' suffix after it.

In case it's of use, I use an imac and import via card reader.
Do you format the card after each import? Got ignore duplicates checked at import?

Do you format the card after each import? Got ignore duplicates checked at import?

Yeah. It's definitely not to do with reimporting. This is on new images. Card often formatted. Not always but seems it's independent of this problem.

Should have mentioned, I've used LR for about 7 years and always imported in the same manner. This is a new problem. Only thing that has changed is I've only noticed it doing it on my X-T4 images so maybe that is related.

Had another look at this this morning. It seems that when I select the source for importing and thumbnails start to populate the import screen, some duplicates are already showing at this point. If I just hit import, it will bring duplicates in with -2 suffix. If I wait until all thumbnail previews are showing, lightroom will start to grey out the duplicates much like it would with photos that have already been imported. Except these are brand new images that have never been near the computer. There is no sign of the duplicates on the memory card if I just take a look at it on finder. Does that make sense?

It seems like LR is creating 'virtual' duplicates at import stage and then dismissing them itself if given the time.

Annoying I cannot install the latest LR as my imac's operating system is no longer supported.

I don't know about X-T4, but on some cameras you can set it to write multiple versions of the same image to the card. For example, on the Canon I just looked at, I could set it to write both a RAW and JPG version to the same card.

Perhaps something to check?

I don't know about X-T4, but on some cameras you can set it to write multiple versions of the same image to the card. For example, on the Canon I just looked at, I could set it to write both a RAW and JPG version to the same card.

Perhaps something to check?

I do import raw and jpg from same card but that is not the issue unfortunately. I could end up with two of each file type of the same image. It is also random/inconsistent as to which images are duplicated and which aren't. It seems firmly in glitch territory to me but I'd like to know how to fix it as it's bloody annoying having to clean it up all the time.

It is also random/inconsistent as to which images are duplicated and which aren't.

Are you able to inspect the card, with a different viewer, after it has happened? If the duplicates are there on the card, then the issue is with the camera, not LR.

No. I think I mentioned this. I can look at the card in finder and everything looks normal. No duplicates. Same if I view on the back of the camera.

Annoyingly I tried to replicate it this morning so I could do some screen grabs and it worked perfectly!

Only happens on LR classic. Fine if I import using LR Cloud or whatever it's called now.

Back