Lightroom sub-collection?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Anybody got any tips for this?

I tend to sort all LR images into collections and smart collections. I use collections for specific events so for example this week, I went to the Lakes. So all those images go in one collection called Lakes Sept 2020 or something along those lines. But within there are images that were used as donors into composite images. So I don't to delete them but I don't necessarily want to see them when I click on that collection either. I was hoping to be able to tuck them away in a 'sub folder' within that collection. I don't think that is possible but maybe there are some work arounds?

I realise I could create a collection set but that's not really what I'm after as that would then sit separately to all my regular collections.

The best way to fine tune what goes into a collection is with keywords.

So the way I'd do it would be...
1. Keyword all your images from the shoot with "Lakes-Sept-2020"
2. Keyword all your donor images with "donor-images"
Set these keywords to not export if you like.

-> Collection Set Lakes Sept 2020 (no images in this. 2 smart collections inside it)
---> Smart collection 1 All Images with the keyword Lakes Sept 2020 AND NOT donor images (this picks up your finished photos)
---> Smart collection 2 All Images with the keyword Lakes Sept 2020 AND HAS donor images (must have both - this shows donor images only)

Click on the set to view all the images and click on one of the smart collections to see the subset (donor images or not)

I realise I could create a collection set but that's not really what I'm after as that would then sit separately to all my regular collections.

Edit to add I just read this and am now confused by what you're asking... Just replace your Lakes Sept 2020 collection with the new collection set?

I do exactly what you are describing. For example, ahead of entering the Club Annual Exhibition. I will create a collection set for the Exhibition then a sub collections for each competition section. In practice I do not have to keep doing this as once the Exhibition is over I remove the entries so I can add the new entries next time. I do use keywords, ratings, colour coding etc. so searching for potential entries is easy. I do have a key word for composite parts and another for backgrounds. so I can easily locate with a search of all my files. So no need to place these in folders or collections until specifically needed.

Dave

Edit to add I just read this and am now confused by what you're asking... Just replace your Lakes Sept 2020 collection with the new collection set?

I currently have around 200 collections. I use smart collections as well but to find specific types of images rather than images from a particular event. If I add this particular event to a collection set instead of a collection it appears in a separate list (of collection sets) rather that with all my other collections. Is that just the way it is?

Back