Lightroom update

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I have LR5 which I updated from LR3 years ago with a purchased disc.

I have a new camera which is not supported by LR5 and i need LR6 to PP the RAW files.

I don't want to sign up to the monthly plan and I can get LR6 for about £111 on Amazon back order or £119 from John Lewis.

If I purchase the disc should I uninstall the LR5 and then install the LR6? - just to keep the PC 'clean'

Can't you pay just to update from Lightroom 5 to 6? I paid £64.66 to upgrade from 4 to 6 via a download from the Adobe website.

Can't you pay just to update from Lightroom 5 to 6? I paid £64.66 to upgrade from 4 to 6 via a download from the Adobe website.

I tried looking for the update option on the Adobe website yesterday, I used it when going from 3 to 6.
Someone else asked about upgrading, but think it's gone for good now.

I have LR5 which I updated from LR3 years ago with a purchased disc.

I have a new camera which is not supported by LR5 and i need LR6 to PP the RAW files.

I don't want to sign up to the monthly plan and I can get LR6 for about £111 on Amazon back order or £119 from John Lewis.

If I purchase the disc should I uninstall the LR5 and then install the LR6? - just to keep the PC 'clean'

With a new install it would be a good idea to avoid any conflict, not if it's only an upgrade.

It appears you can purchase an upgrade to LR 6. A quick search on Adobe's website...

Info here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/using/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

Basically:
Create an Adobe ID or sign in to your existing Adobe account.
Go to the Adobe product catalog. Scroll to find "Photoshop Lightroom 6", and click Buy now.
Change the license type from 'Full license' to License upgrade.
You should then be able to then purchase it for £64.66 inc VAT.

HTH

(I haven't actually tried to follow through on the purchase as I'm already a subscriber.)

It appears you can purchase an upgrade to LR 6. A quick search on Adobe's website...

Info here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/using/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

Basically:
Create an Adobe ID or sign in to your existing Adobe account.
Go to the Adobe product catalog. Scroll to find "Photoshop Lightroom 6", and click Buy now.
Change the license type from 'Full license' to License upgrade.
You should then be able to then purchase it for £64.66 inc VAT.

HTH

(I haven't actually tried to follow through on the purchase as I'm already a subscriber.)

Well done finding that Tony, that's what I was looking for yesterday to no avail.
Knew what it looked like and how to go about it when there, but it proved very elusive.

One caveat is that you need the product key from the version you are upgrading from.

Last edited:
@Sassafras
@tijuana taxi
@TonyHall

Thanks guys.
Whilst I was waiting for replies i went on the Adobe site and somehow I found a page about updating to LR Classic CC.
So I pressed a few download buttons and without any payment It has downloaded a version of the software which now handles the RAW files which I could not do before.:confused:
Absolutely no idea how this happened , - not sure whether I have a trial version which will expire. Just cannot imagine that Adobe have given me something for nothing.
So I'll just have to wait and see.

@Sassafras
@tijuana taxi
@TonyHall

Thanks guys.
Whilst I was waiting for replies i went on the Adobe site and somehow I found a page about updating to LR Classic CC.
So I pressed a few download buttons and without any payment It has downloaded a version of the software which now handles the RAW files which I could not do before.:confused:
Absolutely no idea how this happened , - not sure whether I have a trial version which will expire. Just cannot imagine that Adobe have given me something for nothing.
So I'll just have to wait and see.

This will be the trial version and you will need to subscribe to carry on using it after a month.

Yep, that's the monthly subscription version. Well worth a tenner a month in my view if you do a bit of photo editing. You get Lightroom and Photoshop, both constantly updated, the ability to edit and sync photos between your phone, tablet and PC, and even a free website builder.

Yep, that's the monthly subscription version. Well worth a tenner a month in my view if you do a bit of photo editing. You get Lightroom and Photoshop, both constantly updated, the ability to edit and sync photos between your phone, tablet and PC, and even a free website builder.

Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC have different features, if you are going to pay make sure you get the one that suits you best.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic-10-key-differences

Last edited:
Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC have different features, if you are going to pay make sure you get the one that suits you best.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic-10-key-differences

As I understand it , you get both for the £9.98 but with CC you only get limited cloud storage and have to pay if you want more , I have and use both but don't go anywhere near the storage limit.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html

- not sure whether I have a trial version which will expire. Just cannot imagine that Adobe have given me something for nothing.

As @tijuana taxi says, it'll be the subscription LR Classic CC trial.

Be aware - any catalogs you create in this CC version won't be backwards compatible with the older LR6 version*, should you choose to buy/upgrade to LR6 later. So while you're free to experiment with the trial LR Classic CC anything you do will have to be recreated in the future with LR6.

If you're keen to continue down the LR6 route...

I assume you understand that it's no longer maintained by Adobe and may become incompatible with future OS updates, or some features may not operate correctly as time goes on (eg. maps, book creation, sharing services etc.)​

...then it may be wise to buy/upgrade to LR6 now and start learning the software you'll actually be using. That way you won't miss the new features that have been added to CC and are not available in LR6.

* - I may be wrong on this, but I don't think so.

(Aaarggh! Something screwed up my formatting while attempting to reply, I'll try again. Meanwhile there's been other useful input.)

Last edited:
As I understand it , you get both for the £9.98 but with CC you only get limited cloud storage and have to pay if you want more , I have and use both but don't go anywhere near the storage limit.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html

You only get 20GB cloud storage on the Lightroom Classic plan. But, Smart Previews don't count towards your storage limit, so if you import to your PC first, create smart previews and then sync to Lightroom mobile, it has no impact on your cloud storage. I currently have over 5,000 photos synced with Lightroom mobile and I've used none of my storage. Smart previews are 2400 pixels on the long side, so for anything you're going to do on a phone, like sharing to social media, they are absolutely fine.

You only get 20GB cloud storage on the Lightroom Classic plan. But, Smart Previews don't count towards your storage limit, so if you import to your PC first, create smart previews and then sync to Lightroom mobile, it has no impact on your cloud storage. I currently have over 5,000 photos synced with Lightroom mobile and I've used none of my storage. Smart previews are 2400 pixels on the long side, so for anything you're going to do on a phone, like sharing to social media, they are absolutely fine.

Thank you for that I will give it a go.

I've always updated LR from the Adobe site, up to 6.14, which is the final "stand - alone" version of Lightroom.

From what I understand, the Adobe site now makes it very difficult to update stand-alone versions of Lightroom, and they would sooner have you sign up for "the cloud."
The update is available, but you have to search for it.

If you're really stuck, you can still buy LR6 stand-alone from Amazon.

Last edited:

As I understand it, you can still buy from Adobe as in post #5 above - just don't select the upgrade path. (It was certainly offered to me last week)

This will be the trial version and you will need to subscribe to carry on using it after a month.

Yes that seems to be what I have signed up for

As @tijuana taxi says, it'll be the subscription LR Classic CC trial.

Be aware - any catalogs you create in this CC version won't be backwards compatible with the older LR6 version*, should you choose to buy/upgrade to LR6 later. So while you're free to experiment with the trial LR Classic CC anything you do will have to be recreated in the future with LR6.

If you're keen to continue down the LR6 route...

I assume you understand that it's no longer maintained by Adobe and may become incompatible with future OS updates, or some features may not operate correctly as time goes on (eg. maps, book creation, sharing services etc.)​

...then it may be wise to buy/upgrade to LR6 now and start learning the software you'll actually be using. That way you won't miss the new features that have been added to CC and are not available in LR6.

* - I may be wrong on this, but I don't think so.

(Aaarggh! Something screwed up my formatting while attempting to reply, I'll try again. Meanwhile there's been other useful input.)

Thanks.
I have played around with couple of RAW files and have immediately exported them so when i lose the month trial I will have saved what I want.
i understand that LR6 stand alone will not be supported in the future. To be honest I am happy with the features of LR5 but because I have this new camera, I cannot upload the RAW images, otherwise I would probably not contemplate a change.

I've always updated LR from the Adobe site, up to 6.14, which is the final "stand - alone" version of Lightroom.

From what I understand, the Adobe site now makes it very difficult to update stand-alone versions of Lightroom, and they would sooner have you sign up for "the cloud."

Thanks. I think that Amazon or John Lewis will be my chosen path, ultimately

Last edited:

Brian,I’ve found the best way to update is to go into LR,go to Help far right top ,scroll down to updates and it automatically checks for updates and downloads them.

Brian,I’ve found the best way to update is to go into LR,go to Help far right top ,scroll down to updates and it automatically checks for updates and downloads them.

That is the method for updates on the version you currently own, for example LR6 which goes up to 6.14
The discussion here is how to update from previous versions such as from LR5 to LR6

That is the method for updates on the version you currently own, for example LR6 which goes up to 6.14
The discussion here is how to update from previous versions such as from LR5 to LR6
In the past it's been possible to upgrade from, say, LR5 to LR6 for around half the price of buying the new version outright.
Updates within the same version have always been free.

Academic really, since I have now moved away from Adobe.

This no longer r works for Lightroom 6. I had to reinstall from CD a few weeks ago and Adobe's system said there were no updates available. To get version 6.14 I had to go to Adobe's web site and search for Lightroom 6 versions. There is a list of all the updates and I had to manually download and install 6.14.

Thanks. I think that Amazon or John Lewis will be my chosen path, ultimately
I would try doing exactly as suggested in TonyHall's first post about upgrading before you buy a (more expensive) full version. You may have to uninstall CC first, and if you run into problems perhaps do a fresh re-install of LR5. Adobe have a cleaner tool if you have trouble getting rid of CC:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

This no longer r works for Lightroom 6. I had to reinstall from CD a few weeks ago and Adobe's system said there were no updates available. To get version 6.14 I had to go to Adobe's web site and search for Lightroom 6 versions. There is a list of all the updates and I had to manually download and install 6.14.
It worked for me 2 weeks ago

That’s what I would do too, no point paying full price again if you can upgrade.

This looks like the way I always did it before I changed to CC (change from full version to upgrade version at stage 3) is still available:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/using/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

Just checked part way following the steps in the above link- seems to still be available as upgrade at £64.66 if you have a previous copy of lightroom:

Last edited:
Back