Lightshow in the Dolomites

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I'd like to show you a panorama shot from my last trip to the Dolomites. It was a really cloudy evening but I was lucky because the sunlight won the fight against the thick layer of clouds. I really love this area. I'm curious about your opinions.
smiley.gif

Daniel

I like this. I am not a massive long exposure fan and would be curious to see a more static shot. Nice light and composition as always. Looking at your site you have to be one of the best landscapers in the world right now.

Yeah great shot but I agree would be nice to see one more static, still a good shot though.

A place I'd like to visit soon, agree with the comments, It's caught in between being not long enough to get some real blur in the clouds and not short enough for static clouds, apart from that It's great, love the light on the rocks.

Thank you all for your opinions guys. I understand the critique. The clouds were moving fast and I wanted to capture thatt motion so I decided to make a bit longer exposure (I don't like it when its too blurry).

Today I would like to show you another photo of that short trip. There was some really nice and soft light after sunset.

Daniel

Going to agree with the critique above as the movement in the clouds didn't really add to the image. However, your image above is grand in scale and light - lovely work. A preferance for me would be to lose a little of the foreground as it adds little and could allow for a a tighter crop into the imcredible scenery behind.

Absolutely love that second image, nicely balanced, fabulous light and the good processing rounds it off wonderfully. Great work.

I actually really like the first one - it's fantastic! :clap: The second is beautiful apart from the 'glow' (for the want of a better word) around the peaks on the left is a little off putting. I would agree with Steve, your images are a real pleasure to look at!! :)

I've got to disagree with the majority here actually. The choice of a long exposure works well for me, photography is about story telling and as someone who has spent some time in the mountains the movement in the clouds 'shows' wind. It makes the peaks of the Dolomites here look timeless, standing high and catching the light which you know could be fleeting because the clouds are blowing through. Strange how many people are against it when we seem obsessed with any shot of the sea that is a minimum of a one minute exposure!

The second Daniel is is the very first picture of yours I have ever looked at that shows any processing artefacts. I appreciate it may be from resizing but there are dark halos around the peaks on the left.

Hey guys! Thank you very much for your opinion. Its really interesting to see the different tastes. I posted the images on different sites and the opinions are different on every single one... :) To answer the questions... No I don't have a version without the orton effect because its part of my workflow. Sometimes I use it less and sometimes more. In this case I like the soft evening light and I wanted to enhance this in post. I was also searching for dark halos and I couldn't find any. In case you meant the left side of the middle peak, there was a cloud behind it and some of it is showing up.

I wish you a good start in the day. :)

Daniel

I was also searching for dark halos and I couldn't find any. In case you meant the left side of the middle peak, there was a cloud behind it and some of it is showing up.

Daniel

It could well be clouds and not a halo, I did get some intensive tar remover in my eye cleaning my car a couple of days ago!

If it is a halo then possibly it could be a sharpening halo, or a feather edge from selective editing of the rocks and the sky?

Regardless I love the shot, particularly the light to the right hand side and the moon is nice too. Look forward to seeing more of your stuff on here.

Thanks Craig.

Today I'd like to show you another photo from this trip. I stayed up until midnight to photograph the wonderful milky way plus the moonset. After I got my shots I hiked back to my car for two hours in the dark.

Last edited:
Again in the minority but I quite like the LE shot which emphasises the soft sky/cloud movement against the solid mountains.
I really like the Milky Way shot.

Back