Like Dairylea

Looks like a Treble-bar Aplocera plagiata, though it could be a Lesser Treble Bar.

My initial impression was that the DoF is a bit narrow for my taste, but the focus is very nicely placed and that aperture does give a pleasant look to the background. I like the composition and the way the lines work. Nice light on the subject too. Overall very pleasing to my eye.

That's pretty much always the case when it comes to macro isn't it though! That DOF is with the aperture at F8 too and since it was taken at around 7pm, there's not a lot of light to go any smaller.

Hand-holding 560mm isn't easy :p hehe Ideally, I could have probably taken some of the other shots I had and stacked them to get a bit more DoF but I was feeling a bit lazy.

The way all the grass lined up and was nicely out of the focus plane the main reason I liked this shot :)

That's pretty much always the case when it comes to macro isn't it though! That DOF is with the aperture at F8 too and since it was taken at around 7pm, there's not a lot of light to go any smaller.

Hand-holding 560mm isn't easy :p hehe

560mm. So you were using a 1.4X teleconverter? No, that's not easy. I tend to use ISO 800 with my 70D, but you really didn't have much wriggle room in those circumstances.

Ideally, I could have probably taken some of the other shots I had and stacked them to get a bit more DoF but I was feeling a bit lazy.

In that sort of circumstance I tend to use multiple shots in a different way. I take lots of shots (if the subject lets me) to increase the chances of getting one that is decently sharp. So I dabble with quite slow shutter speeds (and push up to ISO 1600 sometimes).

The way all the grass lined up and was nicely out of the focus plane the main reason I liked this shot :)

Yes, that worked well.

560mm. So you were using a 1.4X teleconverter? No, that's not easy. I tend to use ISO 800 with my 70D, but you really didn't have much wriggle room in those circumstances.

Yeah the extender is built-in so stays pretty sharp and gives a bit more magnification. I was also using a 25mm extension tube for a little more magnification. Minimum focus is normally 2m but I can get a little closer with the tube on so a little more magnification. Great lens for Dragonflies and the larger Butterflies but doesn't get enough magnification for the smaller stuff.

I definitely get a bit of a workout handling it though :D

Back