Lily Beetles? CC Welcome

Name
Leroy
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are my first proper atempt at really small bugs. Any advice off how to improve them would be welcome, don't pull your punches as I'm here to learn. I think its a Lily Beetle?
by Leroy, on Flickr
by Leroy, on Flickr
by Leroy, on Flickr

As a first go I would say impressive.

Some common issues on these
> lighting check the show us your rig thread
> Focal plane - eyes are always on front edge you need to bring them into the middle so its on the side of being OOF
> Can you let us know what gear you used?

As a first go I would say impressive.

Some common issues on these
> lighting check the show us your rig thread
> Focal plane - eyes are always on front edge you need to bring them into the middle so its on the side of being OOF
> Can you let us know what gear you used?
Bryan Thanks for your time.
This is my current workflow...As a Paraplegic Wheelchair user I have to first find a subject that can get close enough to, if not the wife will catch it in a jar, I will the put some form of vegetation in the jar and wait for it to climb out..
The gear I use is Canon 70d with Sigma 105 plus a ring flash, taken handheld.
I understand the lighting isn't perfect but I'm in the process of making some defusers
Please can you expand on Your point about Focal plane point as I'm not sure I understand it.

Bryan Thanks for your time.
This is my current workflow...As a Paraplegic Wheelchair user I have to first find a subject that can get close enough to, if not the wife will catch it in a jar, I will the put some form of vegetation in the jar and wait for it to climb out..
The gear I use is Canon 70d with Sigma 105 plus a ring flash, taken handheld.
I understand the lighting isn't perfect but I'm in the process of making some defusers
Please can you expand on Your point about Focal plane point as I'm not sure I understand it.
I am very impressed that you take so much care. Could you make something that you take photos through?
I have tried to and mentioned it in this thread.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/rat-tailed-maggots.643871/#post-7745362

Sorry to hijack the thread but I think it could make your life a lot easier.

Last edited:
I am very impressed that you take so much care. Could you make something that you take photos through?
I have tried to and mentioned it in this thread.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/rat-tailed-maggots.643871/#post-7745362

Sorry to hijack the thread but I think it could make your life a lot easier.
David no need to apologise, thanks for the advice. I'm in the process of making a small desktop Macro Studio. I'll post some pics when it's up and running.

Hope your on PC/MAC otherwise this may look a little weird on mobile

=============================== blur
------------------------------------------------------ back of focal plane

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo subject (pin sharp in the middle)

------------------------------------------------------- front of focal plane
=============================== blur

on your images the subject is tending to be near the front so not as sharp as could be

======================
--------------------------------------

ooooooooooooooooooooooo
--------------------------------------
======================

Hope that makes sense so try and get eye as close to the middle of the plane as possible.

Hi Leroy, Love that 1st shot, its just about close enough.
Nice to see that being in a wheelchair has not put you off trying this hard subject.
Keep putting your shots here and listen to what is being said, I did (just) and I improved lots.

Hope your on PC/MAC otherwise this may look a little weird on mobil

Hope that makes sense so try and get eye as close to the middle of the plane as possible.
Now i understand, thanks for the advice.
Hi Leroy, Love that 1st shot, its just about close enough.
Nice to see that being in a wheelchair has not put you off trying this hard subject.
Keep putting your shots here and listen to what is being said, I did (just) and I improved lots.
Thanks for looking. I will post more, I've learned all i know from here. So onward and upward (y)

BTW I wonder if the second photo has been spoilt by camera shake, were you arms supported when you took these photos? How much does this combo weigh?

BTW I wonder if the second photo has been spoilt by camera shake, were you arms supported when you took these photos? How much does this combo weigh?
I agree it not quite there. The sigma is pretty weighty and I do struggle with the overall weight, I put both elbows resting on my arm rests making a resonable stable human tripod. But sometimes i get a wobble on. Looking into ways of supporting to camera, but still having manoverability, I have a Manfrotto Magic arm that a friend is going to modify to fit my chair. I'm getting there, slowly but surely

That's a great start Leroy - the reflective wing case is tricky. I've been looking through your Flickr; you have some super shots there. Are you going to post the mating flies? I think that is a terrific shot.

Diffusion is a bit of an art - needs much experimentation, trial and error. But it can make a big difference.
Thanks for taking the time Nick. You've been one of my inspirations, I've been stalking your posts since last year. I did post thee flies a while back. I'm looking to somehow defuse my ring flash, or just go the pringels tube type on my regular flash.

You've been one of my inspirations, I've been stalking your posts since last year.
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

I'm a multi stalker, I've been watching you too:)
[emoji47] [emoji22] [emoji47] [emoji22] [emoji47] [emoji22]
No worries, I'm a 1000 miles from the UK lol

Definitely watching the wrong person if you like Graham, you will never shake him off [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Back