Liquid Light?

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
It is a fairly tried and tested thing but I had fun with a light string at Folkestone Sands the other night. Camera settings were ISO 250, F9 and around 60 seconds on Bulb Mode using a D7000 and kit lens. It was all done in one take (no photoshop layering were involved).

Harbour2021st20Feb2015203.jpg~original

Harbour2021st20Feb2015205.jpg~original

It was an experiment on-the-spur moment thing to get the feel of things as well as trying to re-ignite my photography mojo and thus I didn't really have composition to mind (especially in the second photo), but I reckon it's worth another attempt at a later time (although it won't be long before our evenings become lighter and warmer and thus peace and quiet will be scarce at that location).

Last edited:
Love the first one! It's a surreal location made more dramatic by your light painting (y)
For me, the second one doesn't quite hit the same level; definitely worth a re-visit though.

Hi Duncan and long time no hear! With the first one I had to be careful with the rocks as I kept tripping over them! But yes with the second one, while the idea is exciting enough, it does feel like it's "missing something", so will try again at a later time with a friend and see what I can do in terms of different angles and composition as I do like the location, especially now I know it does work in terms of settings (apart from the white balance due to the amount of tungsten lighting being about).

Last edited:
The first one is definitely ethereal. I love it.

Second one didn't seem as good and I thought it represented "flames". I think the concept is okay but this could have been made better if had come from say a building.

The first one is definitely ethereal. I love it.

Second one didn't seem as good and I thought it represented "flames". I think the concept is okay but this could have been made better if had come from say a building.

Indeed, it does seem that the first one works as a concept, but that's a good idea with the second image, perhaps a twist on night time urban photography. Off to Google Earth and see if I can find any disused dwellings close by. One other idea I do have to mind is like flames around a tree.

Last edited:
second one makes me think there should be someone standing at the point where the light comes from - first thing that sprung to mind was something like the highlander movies - maybe get someone out of shot with a fishing rod and the lightstring on it, and also have a light streak going UP from the person standing there...

Last edited:
second one makes me think there should be someone standing at the point where the light comes from - first thing that sprung to mind was something like the highlander movies - maybe get someone out of shot with a fishing rod and the lightstring on it, and also have a light streak going UP from the person standing there...

:) I could try that with the local statues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back