Little Egret and Swan

Two very fine males of their respective species, Dave.
May I suggest to revisit the DRL of these?

Please feel free to do

Thanks for your trust, Dave …
I tweaked the WB while at it!

Graceful%20Egretpp.jpg

How do you get it right. I just play with the exposure slider and don't know how that affects WB and or DRL. Teach us Kodiak, teach us :)

How do you get it right.
Be careful Gil, many members will tell you that I can't
even get my own pictures right!

I don't pretend to any rightness at all but I don't mind
sharing tips that I explain in all details to my students.
I just play with the exposure slider and don't know how that affects WB and or DRL.
Whatever software you are using, there are plenty of
tutorials online that could help you with very specific
answers and knowledge to the task you are tackling.

BTW, I never said that an exposure tweak would be
of any good for DRL nor WB.

BTW, I never said that an exposure tweak would be
of any good for DRL nor WB.

Eek, shows you how much I understand. I think I definitely need to understand these things to be taken seriously amongst the pros on here!! :confused:

My paranoia being at the level it is, I wouldn't
worry if I were you… and please take the time
you need, it's a long way but most gratifying! ;)

How do you get it right. I just play with the exposure slider and don't know how that affects WB and or DRL. Teach us Kodiak, teach us :)

Gil,

If you're using lightroom, go into the 'develop' module and look for the 'whites' and 'blacks' sliders. Hold down your 'alt' key and keep it held down. Click on the 'whites' slider and the screen should go black. Keeping the alt key down, move the slider to the right until little bits of data start to appear on the screen. As soon as they appear thats the white point set. Then do the reverse for the 'blacks'.

Personally I find that makes things a little extreme, so for personal taste I tend to find the point then move the slider slightly back towards the centre.

Thats the basis of setting the points - obviously more to come in the future but try and get used to incorporating this in your workflow

Mike

After all the great advice and tips from some great members here, I tried those tips out today and I am pretty chuffed to have a lot more keepers.

Graceful Egret by David Ore, on Flickr

Graceful Swan by David Ore, on Flickr

Good control of the whites here Dave, whatever you did from here should form part of your shooting under these conditions in the future.

Keep 'em coming

Mike

Back