Little Egret portraits

Edit My Images
Yes
A few from today's walk from the house; more closely cropped than I prefer but the tree it was perched in was busy and distracting. These birds hang around here a lot in the winter but are usually quite shy, so I was pleasantly surprised to have a very close encounter with this one. Harsh light sadly but I'm still happy with the results. Any C&C welcome!

LDC_0584 by Luke Case

LDC_0588 by Luke Case

A pair of very nice portraits, Luke :)
- lots of feather detail despite the harsh light, nice pose on both, but some hot-spots on the first that could be dealt with in pp I think. You should be very happy with these! (y)

Russ
Thanks Russ, I must admit that I edited these in a bit of a rush earlier; I'll go back and have a look at the hot spots when I get a chance. Thanks for the comments :)

Luke, I like the first one, not too keen on the second due to the head angling away. As you mention the light is harsh and was not your friend here, so I'm going to try something a little unusual and not sure if it will be well received or not!

Just as an idea I tried darkening the background along with the let of the bird as we look, I then lightened the face and lowered the bright highlights on the neck. This was all done in PS on 3 separate curves layers

I then warmed the shot up slightly and cloned out the spots in the BG

A bit arty farty but just an option and done on the laptop so possibly not my best work!

50807466672_bd33f7a08c_bRP.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Very tidy- the 2nd image does it for me, that eye :rolleyes:

Les :)

Luke, I like the first one, not too keen on the second due to the head angling away. As you mention the light is harsh and was not your friend here, so I'm going to try something a little unusual and not sure if it will be well received or not!

Just as an idea I tried darkening the background along with the let of the bird as we look, I then lightened the face and lowered the bright highlights on the neck. This was all done in PS on 3 separate curves layers

I then warmed the shot up slightly and cloned out the spots in the BG

A bit arty farty but just an option and done on the laptop so possibly not my best work!

View attachment 304544

Mike
Thanks Mike, I like that! I'll have another play with the image with this in mind when I get a chance.
Very tidy- the 2nd image does it for me, that eye :rolleyes:

Les :)
Thanks Les! Very cool eyes indeed :)

Back