Little grebe round 5!

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
A few of you will know that I have been in a battle of wills against these little angels for a while now :)

So after sourcing a Nikon 500 F4 and today a recently ordered 1.4TC (I do have the 1.7TC to try another day possibly?) I thought I would try yet again to see if I could get any better/closer results @700mm?

Here are the results after a few frustrating hours watching them avoid me like the plague haha! (Note to self handholding the 500 in the wind is not the easiest of tasks?)

First 2 are very similar just couldn't decide if one better than the other?

Little Grebe (Nikon 500mm F4 + 1.4TC) by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Very nice detailed shots Mick, love the 3rd (y).......but I bet the perch wasn't very happy :D

Personally prefer the 1st of the 1st two ...with the fish would have been a cracker had focus been 100% :)

If you are hand-holding the 500 f4 you will get some below 100% focus ... and Murphy's Law says they'll be the best ones :)

If you are hand-holding the 500 f4 you will get some below 100% focus ... and Murphy's Law says they'll be the best ones :)

Yes it not easy I agree and today was quite windy, so I sat on floor made it a bit easier resting the lens on my knee, and with the TC on especially it a bit tunnel vision like?

I think a tripod will be called for to get the best results for sure?

Have you tried the 1.7TC or wouldn't you bother?

Yes I use the 1.4 and 1.7 ... stop down slightly with the 1.7 some of the time.
Incidentally you did well to get as close as you did :)

Yes I use the 1.4 and 1.7 ... stop down slightly with the 1.7 some of the time.
Incidentally you did well to get as close as you did :)

Cheers yes I think the 1.7TC not even worth trying handheld so will leave that for now :)

They the worse birds for diving as soon as you see them I have ever come across? I have learned to just sit in one place and hope they will come past you, or at least near to you otherwise you just end up chasing them all day? I also wait till they dive and then move a bit if they are getting closer but that sometimes spooks them?

Cheers yes I think the 1.7TC not even worth trying handheld so will leave that for now :)

They the worse birds for diving as soon as you see them I have ever come across? I have learned to just sit in one place and hope they will come past you, or at least near to you otherwise you just end up chasing them all day? I also wait till they dive and then move a bit if they are getting closer but that sometimes spooks them?

They are difficult and you definitely need the light in the right direction with their particular feather pattern :)
Here's one with the 1.7 @ f6.7...

Pair of Little Grebes
by Roger, on Flickr

great set

Time well spent, these are great shots (amongst the sharpest I've seen) of a difficult to photograph bird as you said. Glad you finally got the shots...now just to get the fish in the mouth as pin sharp haha. There's always something more!

great set

Thank's Bob!

Time well spent, these are great shots (amongst the sharpest I've seen) of a difficult to photograph bird as you said. Glad you finally got the shots...now just to get the fish in the mouth as pin sharp haha. There's always something more!

Cheers Chris!

I still not happy but they better than I was getting before with my 300 + TC?

You always want better as you say? But for my first outing with a new lens, and the tunnel vision thing was quite off-putting I am reasonably confident that I should be able to get better :) (otherwise I wasted a lot of money haha)

Back