Little Grebe

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
Never had much look with these little devils they either dive as soon as you go near them or just don't come near in the first place?

Anyhow I had a plan to get a second Nikon body a D7200 to see if the 1.5 crop factor would be better than my D810 in crop mode? 24mp vs about 15mp I believe?

So here are the results below!

Setup = D7200 + 300mm F2.8 lens + 1.7 TC = 510mm + x1.5 crop factor = 765mm equivalent! All taken handheld I really could have done with a tripod at this distance?

23124411426_089c79e016_b.jpg

22756341417_334981c339_b.jpg

23124416246_0095416655_b.jpg

23124376646_5d39ff2c99_b.jpg

#1 for me. Sharp, clean and exposure is spot-on.(y)

Minor crit would be the framing of the bird is a bit too far to the left. I'd prefer to see the eye centrally in that frame, but it's your shot, so my preference doesn't count. ;)

Agree with John on all points. Shame the one with the fish isn't as sharp as the first but you can't win em all! As it happens, I was trying to get a shot of one today also with d7200, 300(f4) +1.4tc in my case and you're totally right, as soon as you get focus, they're under! Come back up a mile away and then you need to refocus...and repeat! I didn't have the time available so I only got one shot that's nothing special.

#1 for me. Sharp, clean and exposure is spot-on.(y)

Minor crit would be the framing of the bird is a bit too far to the left. I'd prefer to see the eye centrally in that frame, but it's your shot, so my preference doesn't count. ;)

Cheers John and yes I can see what you mean about the framing!

Agree with John on all points. Shame the one with the fish isn't as sharp as the first but you can't win em all! As it happens, I was trying to get a shot of one today also with d7200, 300(f4) +1.4tc in my case and you're totally right, as soon as you get focus, they're under! Come back up a mile away and then you need to refocus...and repeat! I didn't have the time available so I only got one shot that's nothing special.

Cheers Chris, yes I was cursing that it never tuned round once with the fish, this was the nearest to a shot of it facing me I got , was well annoyed LOL But such is life! These ones are on a relatively small lake but still dam near impossible to get near even with all my camo gear on? Yet people with no camera's seem to be able walk past and they ignore them haha!

Back