Critique Little Grebe

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
A Little Grebe image taken a few days before Lockdown #3. I was not sure about the water colours / reflections, so did not post it at the time - but now boredom has set in!! So what do you guys think?

Canon R5; 400mm; f/4; ISO 200; 1/640s handheld
1Z0A0535-Edit.jpg

Thanks for commenting,

Russ

I like to see some colourful water reflections and these work well IMO, they compliment the colours of the birds plumage and they aren't strong lines that would detract ... can't see why you held back :)

I like to see an interesting "background" in a bird portrait. The best bird artists/illustrators take great care over their backgrounds but for some reason photographers seem to prefer a completely blank one. As gramps says the reflections are quite subtle and non-distracting but the pose of the bird is a bit static.

I like to see some colourful water reflections and these work well IMO, they compliment the colours of the birds plumage and they aren't strong lines that would detract ... can't see why you held back :)
Cheers Roger - appreciate your comments mate! I agree about the complementary colours in the reflection - but I didn't post it earlier because I had already posted an image of the same bird without this reflection which I considered better? However this one is growing on me now!

Russ :)

I like to see an interesting "background" in a bird portrait. The best bird artists/illustrators take great care over their backgrounds but for some reason photographers seem to prefer a completely blank one. As gramps says the reflections are quite subtle and non-distracting but the pose of the bird is a bit static.
- many thanks Jerry :)
- I know what you mean about photographers preferring plain backgrounds - I fall into that category myself; it's probably why I didn't post this earlier. Regarding the pose being a bit static - the bird was just sailing along between dives, hence the bow and stern waves!

Russ

It's fine,Russ.Those water colours match up very well..or the grebe's colouring matches the water :)

Stuck in again aren't we. I was out on a walk with my wife yesterday and we took a short cut through a small housing development..no through roads so no traffic and there in the middle was a tree ..no leaves, of course ..and a resident had hung a couple of bird feeders on it and I counted seven LTT eating what I took to be niger seed. Lockdown rules/law state that I'm not allowed to go there with my camera/tripod though. As far as I understand it a walk,one walk a day, is ok but no other activity can be indulged in, not even taking photos .

Hi John - I'm pleased you like it; I must say it's growing on me now!

Yes, this third lockdown was inevitable wasn't it after all the scenes of people not taking it seriously. I agree with your assumption about walking from home being OK, but stopping en-route to take a piccie not being allowed. A great shame, but if there was a special bird to photograph then that would encourage other togs to form a crowd and bang goes social-distancing.

I have just received a phone call to have my Covid vaccine jab tomorrow! Yippeee! :) :) :)
I hope I can get the car out of the drive with all the freezing snow lying around up here. Pity my wife cannot also attend, but she is 4 years younger than me and "The System" cannot allow it at present I am told :(

Take care mate

Russ

Back