Wild Little owl doing some hovering

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
Not normaly something i see from the Little Owl, this was a juvenile who was flying in to the wind and basicaly hovering looking for prey.
The birds will fly in wind but not for long ,they normally retreat and just hang around until the wind drops but this bird decided to take advantage of the wind ,background was totaly out of my control as this was a grab shot after i spotted what he was doing .
Juvenile by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Last edited:
love it Den bkg works mate actually for a grab it is pretty special. Den for some reason the head turn is really appealing it's the focus of the owl I think

anyway TFS

stu

love it Den bkg works mate actually for a grab it is pretty special. Den for some reason the head turn is really appealing it's the focus of the owl I think

anyway TFS

stu
Thanks Stu,i have a good 15 shots of this ,not sure what it is but it looked better on the camera screen than it did once processed .
The apealing bit is i suppose the look of the owls eyes ,dont get that normaly ,just wish it was a good 50 feet to the right for a nicer background ,but this was a natural shot

yes exactly Den those eyes staring for prey it's the protrayal of what the bird does I think mate,the eyes tell me it's hunting,does that make sense.
Buddy I genuinely do like the bkg,maybe you know it could be better ,you know your spot Den,really KNOW it,I don't. Maybe that is standing in the way of you seeing what I am? for me the bkg enhances your owl both in colour and lighting,ie where the darks and lights fall within bkg where the olw sits against them all work together,,,,,as before I don't get to post on evey offering Den but this one feels a bit special,so I am compelled to,it's that big a draw to me

stu

yes exactly Den those eyes staring for prey it's the protrayal of what the bird does I think mate,the eyes tell me it's hunting,does that make sense.
Buddy I genuinely do like the bkg,maybe you know it could be better ,you know your spot Den,really KNOW it,I don't. Maybe that is standing in the way of you seeing what I am? for me the bkg enhances your owl both in colour and lighting,ie where the darks and lights fall within bkg where the olw sits against them all work together,,,,,as before I don't get to post on evey offering Den but this one feels a bit special,so I am compelled to,it's that big a draw to me

stu
Thanks Stu,i have said before i do know i post a lot of owl images and i dont expect a comment on all,they can get a bit samey as to say.
Thanks for the comment ....

yes mate you do but no probs there just wish I had more time to say more tis all:) If I had more time the place would be equally littered with hares

Den, really I was trying to use that to get over to you just how much I like this one,nowt more mate i'm not clever enough for inuendo just trying to convey how much I like this and why really kiddo(y)

stu

Reactions: den
background was totaly out of my control as this was a grab shot
In full honesty it is only you that is or would be concerned about the background. You have too many little owls' photos and you are concerned about the smalls things. What draws the viewer to the picture is the eyes and the concentration of the bird ... The background is neutral and fairly contrasting with the eyes, what else do you need. Print it and frame it and just post some more here. :ty:

Reactions: den
Thanks Stu,i have said before i do know i post a lot of owl images and i dont expect a comment on all,they can get a bit samey as to say.
Thanks for the comment ....

...but I never tire of seeing them! great captures of wonderful birds! Wish they were still here, I am just jealous but I also admire your passion for them!

Keep them coming!

best darn grab shot i have ever seen
wish i could get a posed shot as good as that
your one lucky bugger

Dennis, you are showing off now :ty: :ty: :ty:
I think that beauty thinks you are dad or mum :)

Thought i would explain what i mean as a grab shot.
I would normaly set up in one spot ,depending on time of day and weather,once set up i am basicaly stuck with 120 degree view in front of me ,in these shots i noticed one of the juveniles out the corner of my eye and because i noticed he was doing some hovering
Dennis with a very long black thing pointed at it :)
Correct .....

I would normaly set up in one spot ,depending on time of day and weather,once set up i am basicaly stuck with 120 degree view
You are in a hide of some kind, correct?
Bummer :dummy:No wonder I never see any wildlife when out and about. They see me before I see them.

If I want to get close then I need a hide , but to be honest in peak breeding season I can get away without one , just need to be still and use a bit of common sense but yes normally I need to use a hide

Back