Wild Little owlets mixed sites

Lovely Den, I've got four that look just like that :)

Lovely Den, I've got four that look just like that :)
Averaging 2 a site here and having spent a day at one site only finding the one ,not happy but they are well camouflaged and there is a time when they first branch out they will stay well hidden for 24hrs and not move from the first spot from leaving nest

The average Dave is 2.2 .....I have known some sites have 5 especially Neil's last year but alas its only one for me at one site and as far as I can see its two at the others ,early predation in the first week ,especially farm cats

Great stuff Den, yours look a little further on than mine, we had four last year and four again this year so I guess that's a good number then. We don't have any cats on the farm but I do have trailcam footage of a fox climbing the tree where the Little Owl nest is, luckily it didn't get anything. (the tree is half fallen across a ditch so very climbable). Are your nest sites all stone and rocks?

Hi Heidi, one site is a quarry surrounded with open moorland and a couple of lone oak trees,a nest site they used some four years ago ,another is is a non working farm with small fields with good dry stone wall as borders ,,the other is again farmland with disused farming machinery and a load of old quary rock that got dumped...we had a regular fox that used to use a large hole in the bottom of the quarry and in winter he usd to come out as i was watching the birds come out at dusk,now this year ive not spotted it,its that 7 days were they branch out if they can get passed that they can fly to evade predators not great and its low but they can do it ....four is a great result...all sites have some form of old farm material knocking around ,i did post a shot titled .little owl enviro shot were it shows the owls territory

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Den, mine are flying well now but the adults still alarm call at anything unusual and send them scattering in all directions. No Barn owls for us this year, pigeons using both boxes, no badger cubs either, good job I can rely on the Little Owls to keep me amused ;)

Nice looking owl shots. Sensor looks a bit spotty though on that last one.

I would love to get a pic of an owl....any effing owl...and Im kept up all night by the blighters, hooting and screeching..

One from this morning at a location were they had not bred successfully for two years ,this was a moment to enjoy for me when I spotted this juvenile ,taken around 07.00am this morning ,but better news was to follow when I was leaving I spotted another, taken hand held with the 400mm 5.6 with a X1.4 owlet by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Back