Beginner Little red,blue and green spots all over the shop!

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Hello

Hope everyone is well?

I'm processing a LE shot of a pier at sunset and when I zoom in to tidy up any dust spots theres loads of different colour little spots all over the shop, what are these?, how do they get there?, and how do i get rid of them??

Scott

Yes it was a 6 min long exp, I've zoomed right in to the sky and theres 100's, would these show up on a print Dave?

Not sure Scott - would depend on how big the image was I suppose. They can be removed in post processing but a real pain if there are lots of them I would think.

Never had any but know someone with a Canon 5D mk2 who gets them sometimes.

Thanks Dave, will have a play around and see what I can do

Scott

Ok so here's the two pics I'm talking about, I need to blow them up to about 60" x 20" for my mate so I'm worried that the spots are going to show, zoom in on the sky or water and theres loads

SHA_4572-Edit.jpg
SHA_4562-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
If theres that many I'd suspect colour noise, I can't view the images on my phone to see properly (and I'm out for a while)

Thanks Wayne, can you remove colour noise in Lightroom?

Attachments

• Noise.png
    Noise.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 46
Its blooming annoying, I don't want to send off to printers and then get it back with these showing and be liable for the cost! That's the best sunset I have got down there and it looks like its for nothing unless I can find a way to remove them

The sensor is overheating from the length of exposure, which causes some pixels to drop out before the image is complete, giving red and blue pixels.
The camera can clear it up, by using long exposure noise reduction, but that would take a further 6 minutes for it to do it's stuff.
Much better to reduce the length of exposure, you will still get a few with a long exposure, but they will be a lot easier to clone out.

6 mins, its noise/overheated pixels. at 60x20 those spots will look like an alien invasion, sorry massive overexposure. some help
if you wanted a long exposure to get the clouds as they are then take some shorter length exposures and blend them together, hth mike.

Last edited:
Or clone them out. It might take half an hour of intense clicking. But put on some good music and you have saved the day. I can't advise on the best music to choose though.

Colour noise. Turning on your in-camera noise reduction will eliminate this although it doubles the length of exposure time. You can use the luminance and color noise sliders in Lightroom which may help.

On a different note, noise aside, lovely images sir!

In lightroom you need to visit Noise Reduction in the develop module viewing the image at 100% plus. Remember if you have already pushed up the sharpening you have probably also sharpened the colour noise. So if you have pushed it up back it off to the default (25). You have to see what works for your image and this doesn't always cure it but can reduce it.
Take the luminance slider up until it looks better you will notice the image blur a little so its a trade off between that and noise, you can tweak up the sharpness a bit to compensate but don't over cook it else you will sharpen the noise. Put the detail slider at 50% (all the way left 0 detail goes soft. To 100% large detail only goes soft) So this is like a threshold. Contrast the next slider adds more contrast to edges so this can like sharpening add noise your trying to remove.
Colour slider adjusts the colour spots in the image and adds or subtracts uniformity to the colour spots and tends to blend the colours and can flatten the image if you push it too hard.
Detail tries to recover some of the colour detail that you might of lost from the above adjustments but again if pushed too hard can leave you with some artifacts you don't need. Smoothness if you have that slider controls the transition between corrected colours and acts a bit like a contrast control and helps get rid of any artifacts.
Its a bit of a balancing act and even after a lot of playing you may not get a great improvement but it may of course reduce the amount of cloning.
You can also try selective reduction with a gradient filter or adjustment brush and dial in a certain amount of noise reduction in the tool bar.

Hope it works out for you and you don't have too much grief!!

Back