Live music with a bit more light

Name
Rob Telford
Edit My Images
No
Another local gig last night, but a bit more light was available than the last one I posted - I got to shoot as low as ISO 4000!

What light there was rather more highly coloured. The lighting man seemed to have a religious aversion to white light, so I chose to knock most of them back to b/w to avoid magenta and blue casts all over the shop. Two shown here are the rare occasions there was a full spectrum available.

Equipment: Sony A7 and a selection of fast manual focus Canon FD lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8 and 135mm f/2.

It was again a bit of an experiment to see what I can do with this kit in situations like this where I'd have previously used autofocus lenses with a digital camera. The 24 Mpx A7 is perhaps rather more testing of my focusing skills than I was used to with 35mm film.

Anyhow, enough chat, here are some photos. :)

Looking good!!

How did you find the MF? Personally I've never found it an issue. . . well most of the time :p

You used focus peaking I assume?

Guessing the refresh rate on the EVF was ok?

Very good

I'm liking the dof composition of 6 and the expressions in 7

You used focus peaking I assume?

Guessing the refresh rate on the EVF was ok?

I haven't quite got on with focus peaking so far; it works at f/5.6 or f/8, but not so well at f/1.4 and f/1.8. I seem to always end up slightly front-focusing.

Magnified view + a little guesswork for adjustment.

The EVF was fine unless I accidentally set the lens to f/22 :)

Back