Lived in look, take two

Interesting ... great subject :)

What was the approach to the lighting? I can see what looks to be a large softbox camera left but there looks to be something high and camera right? ...

Interesting image, maybe a little more separation from the background with a hair/rim light?

Interesting ... great subject :)

What was the approach to the lighting? I can see what looks to be a large softbox camera left but there looks to be something high and camera right? ...

Interesting image, maybe a little more separation from the background with a hair/rim light?

Thank you. I agree, a rim light would be useful for this shot. I'm a bit tight for space until my studio area is sorted and then the real fun can commence. The difference with the approach used this time was two lights instead of three, I was using one large softbox as a backdrop last time and two umbrellas out front. This time two softboxes, one high and one low, the high one has the catchlights cropped by the subject's brows and the other is pretty evident with one catchlight cropped by the subject's nose. Not groundbreaking by any means but reasonably pleasing light distribution.

I have other shots with one light to one side throwing one side of the face into shadow, I'll add it when I have a few minutes, I was going to shoot with a single gridded reflector but the one's I ordered did not arrive in time.

Many thanks for taking time to look and reply

Regards

Tim

Thank you. I agree, a rim light would be useful for this shot. I'm a bit tight for space until my studio area is sorted and then the real fun can commence. The difference with the approach used this time was two lights instead of three, I was using one large softbox as a backdrop last time and two umbrellas out front. This time two softboxes, one high and one low, the high one has the catchlights cropped by the subject's brows and the other is pretty evident with one catchlight cropped by the subject's nose. Not groundbreaking by any means but reasonably pleasing light distribution.

I have other shots with one light to one side throwing one side of the face into shadow, I'll add it when I have a few minutes, I was going to shoot with a single gridded reflector but the one's I ordered did not arrive in time.

Many thanks for taking time to look and reply

Regards

Tim
Space is always an issue for me too at home :) Look forward to the other images when ready.

I really like this, my only input is as I scrolled down he turned from a rather sinister looking bloke to a grandad once his jumper and shirt came into view. I'd love to see this without the shirt and jumper to see how it impacts the shot?

Another cool shot. I'd still probably use a rather harder light for this subject but that's just me.

I'm working on it Simon, just trying to balance a heavy schedule, shoots, studio build and a few other things. I'm photographing this subject again over the next week or so and will try some more options.

Thank you.

I really like this, my only input is as I scrolled down he turned from a rather sinister looking bloke to a grandad once his jumper and shirt came into view. I'd love to see this without the shirt and jumper to see how it impacts the shot?

Nick, thanks for the feedback, I'm planning another session so will take a few shots minus the jumper and shirt.

Thank you

Regards

Tim

I think this is a really engaging shot, as has already said a bit more separation would have helped but not an easy thing to achieve in a small space and gotten wrong would have detracted rather than added to the shot.
Looking forward to seeing the next instalment.

I think this is a really engaging shot, as has already said a bit more separation would have helped but not an easy thing to achieve in a small space and gotten wrong would have detracted rather than added to the shot.
Looking forward to seeing the next instalment.

Thank you very much Stephen, I'm onto it but struggling for time for a day or two when both the subject and I can be in the same place. I appreciate your comments.

Regards

Tim

Back