Liz's 52 for 2019 Week 42 - Song

works well and nice pic but i think could have either had a bit more detail in the face or the opposite and made more into a silhouette.

works well and nice pic but i think could have either had a bit more detail in the face or the opposite and made more into a silhouette.
Thanks Peter. My daughter suggested reducing the light and heightening the dark, but I decided to wait and see what anyone else thought. One up to her?

Hi Liz,
What a great place to be for New Year's Day! It looks a tad warmer than it was here :)
I like the mono as it helps to emphasise the silhouette which is just dark enough for me on my monitor. I look forward to seeing more of your shots as the year progresses (y)

Indeed, does look a lovely place to be on New Years Day. I too like it although the highlights on the left are blown and would have liked t have seen your feet in the image at the bottom too.

Great start though

I'm not giving you a tick for the Silhouette technique before it's announce Liz, 1 technique per photo is enough ;)

Two things to consider.
1. Horizon needs to be level.
2. it's already been mentioned, but border patrol would have spotted the feet. Either get all of them in, or crop up the legs to make it look deliberate (which is what I do a lot when I cut toes off ;) )

That all said, I like it as a shot and works nicely in mono.

Like the idea, not easy to get these sort of shots. Agree with others would have gone full silhouette, maybe bracketed so as not to lose the brightest section.

I'd would also agree about going full silhouette as I don't think the small amount of detail adds much to the image but there is no right or wrong, just keep doing what you prefer.

Hi Liz, I can't add much to the comments above really. I agree that the horizon needs straightening and it's a shame about Mick's toes ;) but I like the central composition and his relaxed pose. The exposure has brought out the lovely sparkles in the sea and left just a hint of detail in your subject, and I think if you had exposed differently the sea would have blown so it works for me (y)

Gosh, I've got so many comments, I don't know what to do! Thank you all and I'll try to remember them in future, though I'm getting a bit over the hill and my memory's not what it was

Hi Liz, I know that feeling, no good me getting too technical as I can’t remember it! I like silhouette shots into the sun, the main thing I noticed was that it’s very tight on the feet at the bottom edge, but it’s a good original choice for the theme.
Good luck with your 52 this year.

Interesting take on CLEAN. I wouldn't have thought of that, even though I love a freshly made bed with clean sheets!

A good take on clean :)

New - I like it but agree about the feet and straightening the horizon.
Clean - you were quick of the mark there, good idea for the theme.

Thank you one and all. In fact the lady in the photo is called Suzete and is a cleaner at the Pestana Alvor Praia Beach Club on the Algarve where we've been staying for the past 3 weeks (thanks to my daughter, 'Missycat', or George to me, for posting them for me whilst I am travelling). In fact it was relatively dark in the bedroom when I took it and had to be touched up a bit to make it any good at all; some light was coming in through a window, hence the different shading on the beds. Although she has little English, Suzete was thrilled to be asked to do this for me and insisted I had to have a photo of me and her together so I felt honour bound to use it. Just shows how such a little thing can make someone's day.

That works well for the theme, I actually like the different lighting on the bed and feel that it breaks up what could be a large fairly plain area of the picture.

Good idea for the theme well done for getting her to pose for you

This looks like it was taken from a balloon or light aircraft? Nice high view, nice Open space.

Hi Liz,

Is that taken from a plane? It has the feel of being taken through glass.
My thoughts on this would be to perhaps increase the contrast / play with de-haze to give it a more edgy look.
I may have cropped out some of the sky, there is an interesting line of clouds in the sky, but above that it doesn't (IMO) add a lot.

Of course, it's only my thoughts and I'm sure others will have different opinions.

I think I would have put the road straight down the middle of the picture otherwise it’s a good idea

An open road and an open space - nicely done

Back