Liz's 52 for 2019 Week 42 - Song

Liv,, Nice interior shot, lovely colours on the stone work.
Vulcan bomber cockpit is really interesting and very small with little windows.
Plastic, Lucky find for the cow. Nice colour to the sky.

Pete

Empty and buildings, both nice shots although is the white balance right on Empty? (it looks a bit magenta to me, although this could just be my eyes or monitor) I really like the perspective on the buildings shot and the way your eye is drawn through the image.

Two very nice images there Liz!(y)

Empty: Great composition and a well laid out scene. I think Jim is right however, it does need a little tweak to the tint/wb....it does seem a tad on the magenta side....easy fix though, otherwise it's top notch.
Building: I really like the colour contrasts between the two sides, and the road placement works well to draw the eye through the image. Nice image.

Liz,

Buildings, Did'nt know Sheffied had a quayside, looks very nice and the road works well with the coloured cobles.
Empty, Very empty indeed. Very white and the background colour does not suit that well. Good take on the theme.

Pete

Hi Liz,

Looks like it's catch-up time from me....
  • Building - Nice use of leading lines there. Good use of the overcast light to avoid harsh lighting.
  • Empty - I have to agree with the colour balance comments and for me it's a little too tight.
    I had a little play and what I think really suits that image is a conversion to B&W, that way you concentrate on the tones in the image rather than the colours.
  • Plastic - Pilgrimage to MK? ;) (Oh, I see I've been beaten to those comments...) Please tell me it's floating? (Okay, I've just come back from the opticians and they put drops in my eyes to dilate them, so I may not be seeing straight).
  • Interior - The church may be the stronger picture, but I don't care, #2 - the Vulcan is my pick for the impact and complexity of that cockpit. Shots don't have to be perfect to be interesting. (y)
  • Life - Very nicely exposed, great expression caught (which is hard to do with singers, because open mouth aren't often attractive). (y) for this too !
  • Free Week + Technique - #1 jumps out at you more, but I'm plumping for #2 for the extra effort that must have gone into it.
  • Drink - Wooden barrels, so that's whisky right? Ooh, no, wine... I think the second one as it's a more unusual thing to get to see.
  • Wide - Is that a pano or a crop? I'm edging towards pano due to the horizon. It needs a bit of a tweak otherwise the sea is going to run off the lower right edge ;) Sorry, not as strong as some of your other shots.
  • Dirty - Bang on for the theme :) Well composed and executed.
  • Full - Sorry Liz, not feeling this one. The perspective issues and general lack of sharpness don't work for me.
  • Squash - D'oh, that took me longer than it should have, lol, very clever :) Nice bright colours there too.

Thank you one and all. I must say I hadn't noticed the magenta effect before I put it on, but you're right. I'll look at it again on my desk top which is what I use for submitting my photos each time. I preferred my buildings shot though. Tim, you did a sterling job. I feel quite honoured that you would take the time to bother, but I do appreciate it,so thank you. The floating cow! Now you've mentioned it I can see what you mean Glad you liked the Vulcan; I thought it was interesting too, a once in a lifetime opportunity. Also Life; never taken anything like this before and I was dead chuffed with it. Great night too in the village hall.

(Hi Liz. I think you have put your links on the wrong post. They are not on the 'Post your images here' thread.)
Apart from that, I love the sunset one. That looks as though it could come in very handy for a background somewhere else.
Your dahlia one I'm not so sure of - I would have lost the bud and recomposed so the open flower was on your rule of thirds. Nice light though!

Nice set of images Liz.(y)
I agree with Joan, the sunset is sublime, such great colours!
Shame about the loss of a once fine deco building, but nicely taken image nonetheless.
Your flower image is spot on for the theme and nice use of the technique too.

Hi Liz,
Soft - That could almost be a gradient effect, I think it would make a really nice background on your PC. Nice richness to the colours without being overly vibrant.
Old - More Art Deco being torn down :( I wonder if that was done hours before a preservation order like they did to the Firestones building in Brentford. Interesting for it's reportage, especially capturing that freese (is that the right word?) that would usually be hidden inside.
Flower - Good use of complementary colours. I think I'm with Joan on the composition, I think the flower itself if overpowering the bud. Mind you, not sure what you could have done short of plucking it.

By the way, your links are missing.

Hi and thanks for your comments. Made a right mess of the links didn't I. I only intended to put the links on for the first two, then couldn't find the #number! Also had to keep resizing because they wouldn't be accepted. Was struggling to find one for Soft, hence not having put that and Old on at the right time. I was a bit unsure of Soft actually, but am reassured by your comments. With regard to the rule of thirds I wasn't sure what it meant but looking it up online thought the main focus should be in one third of the photo - probably totally misunderstood! Re the frieze, note the spelling, I'm pretty sure it wasn't rescued. It was the original front of the building, but had been covered over for years and only came to light when it was being torn down. Sadly, the whole building has now gone. Saw many a pop idol there in the 60s, Beatles, Stones, Gene Vincent, etc. Great memories gone to dust, but I guess that comes to us all in the end!

Hi Liz,
  • Dull - I really like that shot, you've not been afraid to embrace the shadows rahter than bringing them out. Works really well, both on it's own and for the theme.
  • Free Week - More or less on the 3rd too :) Useful that he's in bright colours to stand out from the background.
    Is that restaurant in the background really called necropolis ?
  • Near - Is it me or are those sculptures vaguely phallic / erotic? Oh, it is just me then :coat:

Thanks Tim, not sure about the name - looks as though it says Necropolis though. I liked the shadow. Phallic? I think it must be you, never entered my head!

Love the snapper’s choice - it’s all about that shadow!!!

Great images from you Liz!(y)

Dull: Really great image, love the moody sky, and a terrific composition.
Snappers Choice: Very imaginative shot Liz...great capture of the shadow.
Near: Wow! Incredible carvings. Very well photographed...all I want to know is, were they eaten that day?:D

Very appropriate Liz although I think a closer crop would do them more justice.

Thank you one and all. It is a beautiful shrub and new to us so well pleased. Two crops of flower too.

You've posted some lovely images since I last visited Liz. Soft really stands out for me. What's not to like in a sunset sky. Great colours.

Christmassy - I'm guessing that posting just to the main thread is deliberate.
We've given you a tick in the spreadsheet regardless :) :)
Certainly Christmassy, I hope you have a good one despite the flooding.

Back