Liz's 52's for 2017 - Week 52 - Weather(and done)

Week 29 - Fruit(s)

All these are either from our garden or just across the lane: Rose Hip, Hazel Nuts (before the squirrels get them), and elderberries (not quite ripe yet I'm afraid).

Attachments

• Fruits_01.jpg
    Fruits_01.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 6
Week 29 - Fruit(s)

All these are either from our garden or just across the lane: Rose Hip, Hazel Nuts (before the squirrels get them), and elderberries (not quite ripe yet I'm afraid).
You have to look at image No 2 I'm afraid!

Well, I thought I'd done it, but it's not now in the gallery with all the other fruits, so I suppose I have to go back to that bit again!

Having been through George's instructions again, the photo is now where it should be, but without a title. Don't ask me why because I did definitely type it in!

Week 30 Vehicle
A very nice pleasure boat on the Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation at Lower Sprotborough, near Doncaster

P7290014 resized.jpg

Last edited:
Fruits is a great composition Liz; good take on the theme.
Vehicle; good subject and nice reflections. Could you have cropped it a bit closer? There's a lot of empty foreground for me:)

Hi Liz and welcome - I've not been great at keeping up with comments lately, so have missed your thread. I like the thought you have put into finding subjects that fit the themes perfectly. I like the graceful statue with the church in the background to give it context, and the collage of fruits with its textured border.

Liking your boat/barge ... perfectly clean and quiet setting and reflection too. Thinking about the above comment re cropping ... I guess you could take a little of top, bottom & left, but not too much and leave space on the right, in front of her.

I like the boat, good vivid colours, the greenery isn't too imposing and helps to focus the viewer to the boat. I agree with @d00d that sometimes keeping the main subject off of center helps.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. They are much appreciated. In fact I did think about cropping the boat and making it bigger, but thought I might lose out some balance on the surroundings, ie the trees and the reflections. I'll have to think about it if I decide to include it in my calendar this year. I wondered what Dave 70D meant about remembering to do a link. I think I must be doing something wrong at that stage as I follow the instructions I've been given (by missycat) but it doesn't seem to work for me. Not that I'm saying George is wrong. She's more than helpful to her poor old mum!!

Hi Liz ...my first visit here, I like the collage idea for Fruit, nicely put together and a good choice of colour for the border.
Nice choice for Vehicle, well captured reflection, I love rivers and canals, such peaceful places.
Piece is interesting, I like it but I'm not sure if I quite get it, but I'll put that down to a senior moment on my part!

Nicely selected collection of bits and pieces, good take on the theme.

All of a Piece ... eh!
... got some nice elements: piece of music, string, wood, chocolate ... don't know about the rest of it :exit::D

All of a Piece ... eh!
... got some nice elements: piece of music, string, wood, chocolate ... don't know about the rest of it :exit::D

Piece of china, piece of fruit, piece of glass, piece of stone!

Please somebody tell me how to delete an unwanted thread or post

Last edited:
Well, that's another fine mess I've made. Eventually got the picture in for 'Week 32 - Contrast' and now the link doesn't work! Will have to consult the oracle AGAIN.

Hi Liz,

Fruit - Nice triptych and good use of complementary colours in the reds and greens.
Vehicle - Glad I zoomed into the large version of the image as the re-sizing on the forum made it look a little soft, whereas in reality it is sharp :) Bang on theme and again you've got the green/red complimentary colour thing going on.
Piece - Liking the concept. A couple of suggestions, 1) The lighting / white balance. Paper ought to be less grey (by default cameras will turn white to grey (You may have seen stuff on exposure being set to 18% grey)), 2) The crop bottom left, with the apple, feels a bit tight compared to the other pieces in your composition. Maybe a little re-arranging once you see what the framing looks like.
Contrast - You've certainly got an eye for getting complementary colours into you shot. (y)

Sorry I am catching up with comments
graceful - what a lovely setting and the statue is right on theme
Fruit - a nice collection and I like your choice of back round colour to bring them all together
Vehicle - I like the reflection and I also think a bit of a closer crop would be better.
Piece - an eclectic collection of pieces
contrast - those colours work well together and do indeed contrast well thought out

Week 33 - Clean(ed)

By the 1950/60s the River Don in South Yorkshire, which had been a prime salmon-producing river during the industrial revolution, became the most polluted river in Europe. Salmon numbers gradually decreased due to the installation of weirs, effluent from an increasing human population in the Sheffield/Rotherham area and then industrial waste. Since the 1980s, the Environment Agency and other bodies have worked hard to clean up the river and install fish passes so that salmon are starting to return, having recently been found as far as Rotherham. When the final two fish passes have been completed, they will finally be able to reach their spawning grounds.

P8180005_edited-1.jpg

Love the idea behind contrast with those fab nail colours - it does look as though you focused a little behind the flowers and nails though as the grass there is the sharpest point?
Great news about the River - it looks like a very beautiful and peaceful spot - you captured some lovely reflections.

Love the idea behind contrast with those fab nail colours - it does look as though you focused a little behind the flowers and nails though as the grass there is the sharpest point?
Great news about the River - it looks like a very beautiful and peaceful spot - you captured some lovely reflections.

Hi Emja - Having looked at it again, I agree the bamboo does look a bit clearer, but to be honest, it was hard keeping the camera still and pressing the button with one hand!

Hi Liz, I love those bright colours in Contrast, and especially the way the red nails match the colour of the flowers (y) Yes, there is a slight focus issue, but I can understand the difficulties of doing this one-handed and this is all about the colours for me.

Clean is great for the theme, some lovely reflections in the water surface, and an interesting background story.

Missed a link somewhere and got two pictures in, but one without the link. Sorry about that.

Back